Best Technical Computer in 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OSTC hasn't been open source for a while now. The 3 and 4 are both not open source, as far as I know. OSTC also does not have AI. The 4 looks cool, but it has been out plenty long enough that any kinks should be worked out by now. If they aren't, then that's just one more reason I would avoid it.

The Ratio has some features that sound cool on paper. But, I haven't seen one in person. From posts I have seen on this forum, I would be concerned about their customer service, in the event of a problem. They have AI but their transmitter is proprietary. And it costs more than a Perdix. For those reasons, I would personally avoid a Ratio.

The Perdix AI is awesome. The AI transmitter is not proprietary. Shearwater customer service is awesome. The price is pretty compared to comparable computers (like the OSTC and iX3M).

Right now, the Perdix or Petrel is a no-brainer (to me).

For a diver who currently has 24 or less dives, I would say to assume you will buy a new computer in the future before you get to the point of dives where a 130m depth limit is a problem. If I'm wrong and you are the next Dave Shaw, well, I still think you are safe to start with a Shearwater. In that case, replacing it with something that will handle deeper depths (and I don't know what that would be) at a sooner time will seem like no big deal to you.

Oh, and just in case you didn't notice, I think the Petrel 2 is rated for a bit deeper than the Perdix.

Some may prefer open source software, fair enough, but not sure what the relevance of region of origin is?

I think only that you can't get an OSTC in the USA.

Presence of a dealer network and response reputation are more important than point of origin IMO.

Personally, I don't think anything currently beats Shearwater.

... If only Divesoft Freedom, seriously. I have a Perdix and it is great but frankly, I somewhat envy my buddy for his Divesoft. I like how it displays the information. For me that is the first criterion. I like the alarms, too, which Perdix doesn't have. It is much cheeper and produced in the neighbouring country to Poland. No AI, though. I agree that changing batteries of a Perdix is a pure pleasure.

My article: The Best Technical Diving Computers 2017

Personally, I don't think anything currently beats Shearwater.

I wouldn't touch anything with chargeable batteries... not when it's a 10 second task to replace an AA battery in computers like the Shearwater. It just avoids a common headache and failure point.

10+gasses on a single dive?!? Who does?? IMHO it's just a BS gimmick to distraction from other missing functionality.

Who'd want ZHL16-B?? .. which (as I understand it) was implemented for producing tables, not 'live' deco. ZHL16-C is the modern standard for computer implementation.
I assume you mean that you would avoid built in rechargables. I am using L ion 14500s in my Perdix. I keep AAs in my save a dive. The 14500 have a better depletion curve so I get a better more linear way of judging when they need to be swapped out and there is no motivation to push one more day before replacing them. The AAs don't give you a lot of time after the yellow alert and almost none after the red alert. If you get the red alert before the start of a dive I would recommend changing them out before you splash especially if you are using the AI. Both work well but I prefer the rechargable 14500s.

I assume you mean that you would avoid built in rechargables. I am using L ion 14500s in my Perdix. I keep AAs in my save a dive. The 14500 have a better depletion curve so I get a better more linear way of judging when they need to be swapped out and there is no motivation to push one more day before replacing them. The AAs don't give you a lot of time after the yellow alert and almost none after the red alert. If you get the red alert before the start of a dive I would recommend changing them out before you splash especially if you are using the AI. Both work well but I prefer the rechargable 14500s.

True. But I dive daily, so it's actually easier to just pop into 7/11 on the way to work and grab a new AA once a week. Rechargeable are definitely an option, but I find it more of a hassle to recharge... especially as I'm already recharging so much other stuff every night.

What I wouldn't want nowadays are permanent batteries... I can't have the downtime waiting for replacement... and it's difficult to DIY.. or even get the right batteries on demand (in the Philippines).

Travelling in remote locations.. or diving in developing countries... you can't rely on a consistent power supply to recharge... but you can ALWAYS find an AA battery when you need one.

Presence of a dealer network and response reputation are more important than point of origin IMO.

My point exactly. One is in North America the other is in Europe. The op is in Europe. Just an fyi I have 2 Shearwaters. Shearwater rebuilt my Predator a few years ago. They are fantastic. I see this all the time on here people recommend what they are diving without thinking about the op's location.

is there some other pretendents for 200m+ tech diving with Buhlmann ZHL16-B and VPM-B that are worth mentioning?

A few questions...

1.) Why do you want ZHL-16B?

That was devised more for generating tables than for in water decompression calculation. I really don't see the need to use it over C.

2.) 200m+?

How deep are you diving right now and what is your experience level? I know very few people who dive beyond 200m or ever have, and those that do make custom table calculations and do not depend on a in-built computer algorithm for live decompression anyway.

3.) Why even bother with VPM-B?

If you have researched the most recent data and evidence in decompression science, then you would see that bubble models have been shown to be less safe for deeper tech dives. They completely unravel beyond 200m+.

1) As I understand the ZHL-16B is more flexible that C. But as I go thro information also thinking about ZHL-16C + GF

2) I've just see that if computer is realible to 200m+ it must be more durrable. I was looking at OSTC 4 also that ther's case is from aluminium not plastic. As for next 2 months will go over 40m deep.

3) VPM-B it's not in my interest also. Just ZHL-16... is the way to go for me.

Also reading lot of info regarding Ratio and it has lot of good Reviews. I want to get best diving computer on market and pricetag it;s no obligation here. I would prefer AI, and as I see OSTC 4 don't support any at this point. Wonder if I can connect 3party AI over bluetooth that it's included.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom