Best Technical Computer in 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My point exactly. One is in North America the other is in Europe. The op is in Europe. Just an fyi I have 2 Shearwaters. Shearwater rebuilt my Predator a few years ago. They are fantastic. I see this all the time on here people recommend what they are diving without thinking about the op's location.
Sorry, not the same point. The point is how quickly I can get service where I am, not where head office is.

..... It seems to me like a lot of dive gear is only rated to 100m or 150m because that's all the rating it needs in order to sell to its intended audience. But, that doesn't mean that's all it can handle. ....
Another consideration with depth ratings is that for certifications, such as CE, the unit needs to be tested to something like 2X its rated depth in rapid repetition for many cycles. I don't know off the top of my head the standard for transmitters or if it is the same as for dive computers, but I can be pretty confident that the actual failure depth is probably over twice the "rated" depth.

Ron

I want to get best diving computer on market.

What do you mean by "the best"? For me 200+ m is not important. All computers of the leading brands are durable enough and you would feel no difference. I would rather look for the one which displays the information in a way I like and understand, the display is flexibly customizable, and navigation through screens and menus is simple and intuitive, as well as switching the gases. If it has AI, then authomatic calculating of the SAC rate is a nice feature. Also automatic adjustment for altitude. What concerns the algorthm, rather pay attention which one are using the people you plan to dive with. It is better when all members of a team have the same algorithm.

It is better when all members of a team have the same algorithm.

If you're doing deco dives, I agree.

If you're doing No Deco Limit dives, then I don't think it matters. Other than a team member might be annoyed if their buddy is out of NDL and they still have 20 minutes left, because the one team member has a conservative computer.

(And, yes, if you look at the ScubaLabs test reports, it is possible, on dive 3 or 4 of the day, to have computers with that much difference or more)

... team member might be annoyed if their buddy is out of NDL and they still have 20 minutes left, because the one team member has a conservative computer.

What if they had the same computer, but one member elected to dive with the maximum conservatism setting? Maybe that decision would be based on a perception of personal susceptibility, or because the diver recognized that one, or more, DCS pre-disposing factors were applicable to them.

Would some people still get "annoyed", I wonder?

What if they had the same computer, but one member elected to dive with the maximum conservatism setting?

Then all the team would use the same, most conservative settings.

Would some people still get "annoyed", I wonder?

I wouldn't, but I can imagine that some people would.

Then all the team would use the same, most conservative settings.

For recreational (NDL) diving, I would not adjust my computer in any way, to attempt to match my buddy. I would just dive knowing that anyone can thumb the dive at any time, for any reason - including getting low on NDL first.

If my buddy's computer says NDL is 0, we're going up. It does not matter whether mine also says 0 or if it says 20.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom