Best Thing you have seen!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorites are the where the sea life is interacting with me. One young octopus played, "hide-n-seek," with me. We took turns crouching behind rocks, until we were spotted, then seeking. This went on for 10 minutes or so. Moving from rock to rock. He had a distinct advantage with his camouflage, but it was interesting behavior. I wondered what he was thinking? Probably, "this clown can't hide at all."

Darell

Tough call ...

Could've been this ...

CIMG1677.jpg

Might've been this (he was twice as big as the manta ray) ...

IMG_4004.jpg

Or quite likely this (he stayed and played with us for about 20 minutes) ...

YouTube - 3 + 1 at Alki Reef

... and yeah ... some of those tubers at Ginnie would have to rate up there pretty high on the list of the best things I've seen while scuba diving ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The ice has a particular fascination for me (although I didn't take this pic); especially the icebergs of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Attachments

• An underwater ice cave .jpg
    An underwater ice cave .jpg
    17 KB · Views: 70
During a dive in Bonaire, a group of us were hanging out at about 70 feet or so, when a medium-sized Hawksbill turtle entered our space. We were all transfixed as she began slowly spiraling upwards, on and on, disappearing as she ascended into the bright sunlight above. It was a beautiful experience and one of the divers, an Aussie songstress who lives in Nashville, even wrote and recorded a song about it.

Many magic moments, it's so hard to choose. But something very special about one of my open water check out dives. I was at the surface, doing a weight belt removal and replacement. I rolled back on to my stomach to buckle the belt, and found a cuttlefish watching me. It hovered, undulating its fins, colours rippling very gently. It got close and seemed very interested in what I was doing! It hovered for a couple of minutes, peering at me, until my instuctor got worried about me! It was a wonderful experience to have the wildlife watch me. I've seen many more spectacular things, but had few such intimate interactions.

18-foot Giant Manta cruising less than 5 feet over my head. Followed by a Thresher shark. And I'd been wondering whether I really wanted to go to the Philippines...
Grae

Where? Bohol, Malapascua, elsewhere?

Went to Big Island a couple months ago. On the first dive of our third day, we were swimming above some coral and were getting ready to turn the dive. As we turned around and started swimming, we found the sand-coral "interface" and swam along that. Then I notice my hubby trying to point something out to me....in the distance were two large mantas (probably 10-12 foot wingspans).

They swam with us for more than five minutes allowing us to take pictures. When they decided they were bored, they swam the opposite way....and another one came and played with us. It was one of those breath taking, magical, natural (not artificial like the manta night dives are) moments.

Besides the mantas (probably a once in a lifetime kind of thing), I absolutely love eels. So anytime I get to see an eel, it's a huge treat for me. I love them....can't explain why, but I do!

Astronaut Buzz Aldrin was asking us early-30 whippersnappers if he could join us. Wow.

You not only got to meet someone who walked on the moon, but he was also a dive buddy for an evening? That's unbelievably cool!!! :cool3:

For me the best thing I've seen diving is a 16ft. manta that was swimming loops within inches of my head. It was exhilirating to watch such a majestic creature and look into its eye as it glided by.

I had the exact same experience as you did. I may never top it, but I will continue diving until I do.:wow:

Back
Top Bottom