Best Underwater Scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, I guess those speeds are without gear.

No, those speeds are most likely without a diver behind it.

The little plastic scooter on that list that stands out is the one that supposedly goes 4.35mph, which is 383 ft/min. Not even our Genesis SW, with over 110lbs of thrust, could tow a free diver that fast. Having been pulled around behind the SW at around 320ft/min myself, I can tell you it is not a particularly pleasant experience.

Deco Duck:
Maybe I need more training.

No, just more hands-on experience. I'm regularly swapping hands on the Genesis, but then most of the time, I lock the trigger on with the speed set like a cruise control. Unfortunately, when most people take a Genesis out for a test ride, they don't get comfortable enough to lock the trigger on and see just how much more relaxing it becomes when you don't have to constantly squeeze or twist the trigger and can swap hands without stopping or trying to gingerly transfer the fingers on and off the trigger, so it doesn't stop.

Cheers,
Jon

Dive-X cuda

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Best" for the money perhaps.
I think best overall is going to be one of the lithium powered scooters.

Cuda Fury 5 hr run time! Haven't been able to kill it yet!!

What exactly are your requirements? Your original post is a bit puzzling considering how different are the two scooters you linked -- for starters, one is rated to 230' and weigh 58 lb, while the other is rated to 130' and weighs 30 lb.

Right now I own a very basic scooter -- Sea-Doo, rated to 100', -- and I selected it less for the scooter itself, and more for the seller. I bought it from Brookstone, and that store actually honors its warranties. Which I already got to use.

Take a look at the AquaProp : https://www.sub-gravity.com/aquaprop-comparison-chart/

Pay particular attention to the size and weight :D

You can fly with the NiMh version, the Lithium version would need to be shipped if flying on a commercial aircraft.

Do I recall correctly that you sell or distribute these? Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but probably good form to mention that.

If not, sorry about that, and never mind.....

Do I recall correctly that you sell or distribute these? Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but probably good form to mention that.

If not, sorry about that, and never mind.....

You are correct- link is in my signature so I didn't think to mention it.

Sent from my rebreather using Tapatalk

Cuda Fury 5 hr run time! Haven't been able to kill it yet!!

I know how to kill it. Throw it across the room when the plastic battery locking gizmo doesn't work.

Don't get me wrong, Dive X made some great rides. I started out in a Sierra.

But better mousetraps have since been made. Any scooter that doesn't require the battery be removed every time to charge it has my attention.... Magnus.

Any scooter that doesn't even require the lid to come off to charge it gets my attention and money.... Genesis.

---------- Post added June 23rd, 2015 at 09:51 PM ----------

It's great to live in a time where the manufactures are pushing each other to improve their design.

I'm totally satisfied with my Genesis 600. I've used it while diving with buddies with a variety of other high-end scooters. The ability to exactly match their speeds (while they have to rely upon "gears"), not to mention the ability to crank up my speed to make outside turns shoulder to shoulder, is key. I've also dove with "kicking" buddies. The ability to scoot at very low speeds and to be able to match head-on currents to maintain position makes it easy and fun.

Not having to take it apart to charge or having to annually replace a shaft bearing are pure bonuses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom