Best way to access cash in Utila with HSBC closing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robertcrockett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have seen where HSBC bank is closing in Utila and I believe this only leaves Banco Atlantida. I was planning to take a combination of traveler's checks and ATM card/s.... Is this still the way to go? or will I have trouble with a Visa debit card? Perhaps I should take all Traveler's checks... I just hate to carry a ton of them if I don't have to...so please anyone with with the inside scoop on my Utila options for accessing cash or just some insight on what u do ...please let me know so I'm never without my beer money! LOL

Banco Atlantida is running OK, albeit with long queues 'cause they only have 2 cashiers desks. They do have an ATM and there is a Unibank ATM next door as well. They both accept VISA & MasterCard as do all the dive centers and most hotels.

I never had trouble with my VISA debit, but if you also have a MasterCard I would bring that along as well for backup. ATMs and the bank will issue only Lempira, but it's better to use those than dollars in general (cheaper), except when paying for diving. The ATMs typically run out of cash before the weekend is over, so if you are arriving on a weekend it will be wise to have some cash or travelers cheques as well.
But bring some dollars with you - everyone accepts them - to get yourself started. Travelers cheques are accepted by most dive centers but not all and there is a place you can cash them as well as at the bank.

Also all the dive centers charge in dollars and will accept them for payment. In fact this is the cheapest way to pay for diving, as paying cash Lempiras you will go through a currency exchange.

I would never travel out of the country with my debit card. That is your money. If someone "jacks" it, you will be bouncing checks all over the place. Just take traditional credit cards.

I bring quite a bit of cash in small bills. I have a couple secret pockets in my luggage to stash it once I bring it into the country in my waist (fanny) pack.

My experience with travelers checks is they are not readily accepted. I found out that is because local vendors have been burned by counterfeit ones. In Coz the Chedurari (sp?) won't even take a bill with a little tear in it...that was fun. I know now.

In Utila and Roatan travelers cheques are widely accepted ($US American Express), and most banks guarantee fraud on Visa debit cards. I know Bof A has covered mine before when it was 'jacked' in Canada, and at the end of the day, if it's 'jacked' you'll have the same inconvenience whether it's a debit or credit card. I've used mine at Banco Atlantidas ATM with no issues.

Hope this helps.

I just returned from 2 weeks in Utila. I used the cash machines often. 90% of the time without any problem. Once cash was out, and the limit seemed to be 8,000 lempiras a day, 2x 4000. If one doesn't work the other ATM is only 50 feet away. Avoid using the bank itself if at all possible, very long lines. No more risk of getting "jacked" using the ATM there then here. General advice however, Utila is a very "cash" island, very few places take Visa or Mastercard. Take lots! When you get there you can see "Archie", his booth in the middle of town exchanges US for lemps at a good rate.

Back
Top Bottom