Best way to attach Octo/backup regulator to BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A way from Simply Scuba

[video=youtube;UxhSvTi4MaM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxhSvTi4MaM[/video]
Over engineered waste of money.
Bungee around the neck or shock cord/surgical tubing and a couple zip ties.

The problem with octo holders is that they are trying to accomplish two diametrically opposed things at the same time. Asking something to hold something securely and yet let it go easily is a pretty difficult pair of tasks, and in my experience, most octo holders do one or the other well, but not both. The plastic one in the video is reasonably secure but fragile, and doesn't fit well in some mouthpieces. The snorkel keepers let the octos go a LOT -- I know, because I swim around our students, putting them back in.

The bungied necklace/primary donate system has very few drawbacks.

Take a length of 3/16" bungee, tie a square knot so you form a loop. Now loop it onto itself around your D-ring, slip mouthpiece of octo into loop, making sure the zip tie knotch is hooked as well.

It's more robust than a snorkel keeper or those keepers CT Sean posted, and it's incredibly easy to deploy and stow while still being tight enough to hold your octo in place. This is because unlike snorkel keepers, bungee can stretch :wink:

I use a neck bungee system with my doubles and the above mentioned bungee method when diving single. It has yet to come undone by itself and I have done my share of elevated giant stride and diving in current conditions to vouch for it. The beauty is that it costs...next to nothing.

I used to make my own with a fastex clip, one side on the bc and the other attached to the reg hose. I also tied one half of the clip on with several rubber bands, so in an emergency it was a tear away device.

HOWEVER, I much prefer a necklace around the neck... it is just a much better, safer solution.

Just wondering what the best method is to attach my octo/backup regulator to my BCD to allow for quick(emergency) removal for buddy breathing....?
I have found the short piece of looped bugee, attached to my BCD, to be as effective as anything.
g1138:
Take a length of 3/16" bungee, tie a square knot so you form a loop. Now loop it onto itself around your D-ring, slip mouthpiece of octo into loop, making sure the zip tie knotch is hooked as well.
Exactly. Probably the simplest, most secure appproach I have found, for a 'conventional' octo placement. Over time, with frequent use (e.g. lots of students tugging on the octo), the piece of bungee may lose some elasticity and need replacement. But, that is a matter of pennies.

If you decide to go with a necklace alternate, DO NOT buy one of these.
99210863-260x260-0-0_MANTA+Manta+Regulator+Necklace+Necklaces+Chains+an.jpg

They don't hold the mouthpiece very well at all, without the addition of tie-wraps to tighten them around the mouthpiece. If you put tie-wraps on, they cut the soft rubber.

Back
Top Bottom