Best Way to Dry a Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Easy question: What's the best way to dry a regulator after cleaning it post-dive?

It just seems to me like hanging it up puts unneeded pressure on the hoses

Hanging the regulator by the first stage will reduce the stress on most setups. The first stage is the heaviest part because it has to most brass in it. Some second stages are plastic and really don't weight much at all and should not affect the hoses.

The worst thing besides never rinsing your regulator is to curl the hoses in a tight circle. That puts a lot of stress on the hoses where they attach.

Hang dry is good, or lay out on a flat surface with the mouth peice down to allow the water inside to drain.

Consider the weight of the second stage on the hose versus 145 psi (give or take) in the hose when it's in use. Hanging it up is completely OK. Coiling it loosely after it's dry and laying it in a bag of some sort (to isolate it from ozone and other contaminants) is very good.

-Bryan

PS. After a week of salt-water diving I give mine a long soak in warm tap water to get all the salt out.

If possible, after you rinse them in fresh water, reconnect to a tank and blow out the second stages. This is especially true if you have everyone rinsing in the same tank, and your purge vavle might accidentally get depressed. Then you will be, too.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom