Best way to tie knot to rope, fixed bolt snap for dropping a tank in the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SentinelAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got a nylon rope. We are doing some wreck dives. I need to be able to drop my deco bottle on a rope. I have a 50' rope. How long should this be to drop off a boat? I have two fixed bolt snaps so I can just clip this on both ends. What is the best way to tie the knot to the rope?

There are probably a hundred ways that would work. And depending on how you are going to rig things some might be better than others. Is this a stage/ deco tank or a single tank/BC package?

One option is to use either an overhand knot, or a figure 8 knot to create a bite. (Loop)

Then you just pull the loop through the closed end of your bolt-snap and loop it over the "G" end so that its captured and can't go anywhere once clipped to something. This makes it easy to replace the bolt-snap if the spring ever fails. *I also would tie off the loose end by the knot just so keep it all clean. Some nylon string or floss works fine for this.

A Large stainless bolt snap or boat hook would work fine, but I would plan on some redundancy if you are tossing gear over the side of deep or rough water. A caribiner with a safety catch might not be a bad idea either.

Suggestion:

Cut it down to 30' and make an eyesplice (that will go over a cleat) on one end. Eyesplice your boltsnap (I prefer a SS ring that will accommodate a W/B) on the other end. Counting the cleat
to water distance (and length lost due to two eyesplices) you should be good.

Don't forget to haul it in as soon as you are done with it, a fouled prop can really piss off a cap...

Edit:
I originally said davit instead of cleat. Two conversations at the same time...

Last edited:
Alpine butterfly would be the ideal knot if they will be somewhere down the line. A bowline or a figure 8 would be fine for the end. The best thing to do at the end of the rope would be to splice an eye.

Are you intending on using this to keep your deco bottles secure until you can strap them on, or is your intention to not carry any deco tanks and just leave them hanging on the line?

Alpine butterfly would be the ideal knot if they will be somewhere down the line. A bowline or a figure 8 would be fine for the end. The best thing to do at the end of the rope would be to splice an eye.

Are you intending on using this to keep your deco bottles secure until you can strap them on, or is your intention to not carry any deco tanks and just leave them hanging on the line?

I'm going to drop it down, swim over and attach. So it won't be on long. Same thing for ascend

You may find that you want some weight on that line if the boat is tied off in surface current. An 8# (two fours) weight belt makes a nice multi-purpose dead weight. That big loop is easy to hang on to if the deco area is crowded and you want some solitude. It is also a quick fix for anyone going light.

It depends on how sloopy the seas are and the roll characteristics of the hull. You can isolate a lot of jerking on the bottle and your decompression line if you tie a small cherry buoy between the boat and tank. It also holds your depth better if the rollers are large since go up and down with the swell. Your ears can really get hammered at a 10' stop, even with a 4' swell.

@Akimbo, you mean this?: Cherry Bomb Buoy, is an automatic, buoy system thatthat will mark a fishing or diving position

Exactly what I was looking for! But for (er, um, aah) another purpose...

Any small buoy with the right displacement will do fine but this is what are commonly called cherry buoys.

upload_2018-7-14_16-40-43.png

Red and orange are the most common (thus the name) and come in lots of sizes, from around 8" to 30"+.

Now if you are talking about a buoy for a dive flag, I prefer these. Boats stay a lot farther away:

contact_mine_floating1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom