Best Wreck Diving Certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I might just surprise you.
Good. WANT to get there. I'm glad you do. Want it deeply. It's what it takes to get there.

The points about getting deco training / certification are well taken. I'm off to research that and get the certs. I will then come back to wreck diving and use the suggestions here.
Please do.

Many thanks. A good training trajectory is what I really wanted.

Would anyonen like to point me to a set of deco / technical courses they respect? PADI? someone else?

I really, really, really hate saying this......but look at hroark's post. The agency matters MUCH less than the instructor. They all have pros and cons, but besides GUE they're all very similar in the long run. GUE is a little bit stricter in every way. Not bad or good objectively, it just depends on your personality. The pro of GUE that is pretty hard to refute is that the minimum level of instructor competence is a lot higher than in other agencies. When you start talking about the "better" instructors, they're all fairly similar across the board. Different, but they're all at a very elite level.

As for trajectory, you're definitely going to be on a light hypoxic Trimix. Many call 18% and up O2 content "normoxic" but technically "normoxic" means 21%......but many agencies have "normoxic" classes that certify you to 18% O2, but they often depth-limit you to 180ft (or 210ft). Look at the standards for GUE, IANTD, PSAI, TDI, and whatever other alphabet soup you read on these forums. I, personally, don't like the PADI trajectory....but their training material is impeccable. Find a great instructor.....like the best you can find. Make sure he's doing the dives you want to stretch to and he's considering them "simple" dives.

As for more concrete suggestions: Get and read "Deco for Divers" by Mark Powell. A new book has come out recently called "Deep into Deco" I've heard good things about. Get some training manuals. These won't replace training, but they should give you information on vocabulary for your training.

Victor has some good points. Further and as a small step, take a course with the prospected instructor (Intro to tec or something else). This will give you a feel for him. Even ask to sit in on a class or pool session. Unfortunately you have little exposure to the info but it's more of a Personality fit. Remember, this is a small step in a huge pool (sorry), the skills and knowledge you are going to acquire will be invaluable.

Booth divers- instructor resume looks decent and I personally like the TDI path. Check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also get the Six Skills and Staying Alive. Both by Steve Lewis.

Absolutely. I forgot to include those because I was thinking specifically about Deco Theory, which isn't really covered. However, these are great additions to your knowledge base.

… I then read the book "Shadow Divers" and that put me off wreck diving until recently…

Given your reaction, I would say you have already read THE most important book to develop the right mindset for wreck training. Thinking things through before proceeding is one of the most important traits a diver can have.

My three PSI:
  • Usual stuff about it being the instructor not the agency, yada, yada, unhelpful yada.
  • In terms of recreational wreck diving, I felt that the PADI wreck diving course was one of the more thorough and more useful of the PADI specialty courses. The real virtue was "learning what you don't know", but the skills in terms of basic line handling were pretty good too.
  • Hands down the toughest (and probably best) diving course I have ever done was TDI's Advanced Wreck. It was brutal. I am not a guy who likes to go deep into silty wrecks and confined spaces, but I felt that I came out a much, much better diver after four gruelling days of skills and drills.

YMMV.

I have yet to see or hear about a wreck diving/penetration specific course that I'd have considered worth taking. There's a bunch of stuff to learn from elsewhere, though.

My advice, mostly based on experience:
If you want to do wreck pen for the cool factor, don't. Cave diving is nicer and much safer.

As for useful training:
To get to the deep wrecks and back, extended bottom times and for general diving skills go for deco training. Wreck dives tend to be box-profile, and the good stuff is generally deep. Avoid instructors and agencies that allow running tech diving courses on inland sites without a boat diving component. Be aware that conditions vary greatly around the world, and the only way around that is to be dived up in the environment. I've seen extremely experienced warm-water divers become completely useless in the baltic, even when properly kitted, and baltic wreckies greatly overestimate their abilities in waters with tidal action...

For diving at the wrecks, cave training or at the very minimum GUE Fundies tech pass -level skills are extremely helpful. You should be able to move around tight spaces and look at stuff up close without making contact with the environment. Line work is always useful, as is streamlined and redundant equipment. All of this is covered in cave classes, which tend to better structured and standardised than the random assortment of wreck classes on offer.

Apart from the diving stuff, all sorts of skills are helpful, depending on how independent and/or possibly useful member of an expedition you intend to be. Watermanship, boating etc. Reading the local weather and a good judgment goes a long way to adding safety. Weather going bad topside during a 3 hour dive can make things really interesting...

Knowing your way around wrecks is hugely useful, but people interested in wreck diving generally pick this up along the way. Being prepared is the key, getting to dive a completely unknown wreck is rare - most of the time you know what you're likely to be diving so doing the research well ahead is simply a matter of not being lazy. :)

//LN

I'm glad I didn't have to go through all this to learn wreck diving in the 70's.... But that was when divers were divers and there were no courses...And to add to the fact that just like the cave diving world... The new breed of divers bad mouth each other and their dive agency... I've seen people bad mouth Chatterton as a unsafe diver... :shakehead:

Jim...
myphone 574.jpgtry me 015.jpg

Something to think about would be the ScubaBoard Wreck Treck this July. Capt Jim Wyatt will be offering his wreck certification on the trip, and there are few better than he is at teaching diving in an overhead environment. He lives in Key Largo, so 3 of the wrecks we will be diving are in his back yard. TomFChrist was thinking about teaching the deco procedures class on the trip, so you have the option of one or the other. Here are the details: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...s-wreck-trek-july-2015-a.html?highlight=Spree

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom