Best zoom available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Guys,
I'm wondering if there is a zoom lens, usually 14-42mm, that could be declared the best lens for use with M4/3?
Olympus have their 14-42's which include mk I and II and I believe that Panasonic have their 14-42 also? What I'm looking for is the lens with the best resulting image quality, speed of focus, etc. It doesn't have to be 14-42, as Olympus have now added their 12-50 to the list, but at an extra $800 on top of the cost of the lens, I wouldn't put this on the list because in my opinion it is waaay too expensive, although its results may prove it worthwhile?
Looking at this zoom style of lens, we are of course looking for a 'whatever we see' type of lens and it must be able to work seamlessly with wet diopters to enhance its macro capabilities. . .
What do you think guys, what lenses are out there, leica, panasonic, olympus, zeiss, maybe a new ddition to the list from Sigma?
I own and currently use the Olympus EPL-2 in the Olympus housing and have the 45mm Pana macro lens to back up my OEM 14-42 zoom, I'm going to upgrade to the EPL-5 and Olympus housing and to the 60mm Olympus macro, but where do i go for the BEST all-purpose zoom for the micro 4/3 system. . . any ideas guys, but please explain why you like your choice???
Thanks for taking the time fellas,
Bruce

Since you've ruled out the $$ 12-50, IMHO, the 14-42 with a SubSee 10X diopter would be your best combination. Very fast focus, small, light, reasonably wide and with the 10X gives very good macro.

Bruce,

I am moving from the E-pl2 (which I have loved) to the OM-D in the Nauticam. I just received my OM-D with the 12-50mm kit. Comparing to my PL-2, I think you might consider this if the funds are available. The OM-D just offers so much more than the PL-style cameras even the PL-5 especially for ease of use underwater, where the Nauticam is a dream.

However, if it is the lens you are only interested in, then I having used both the 14-42 and 12-50, I have to recommend the 12-50, hands down. I have just ordered the port/gear from Reef Photo. Having full zoom (and smooth power zoom for video) along with instant access to the lens' excellent macro feature without fumbling for diopters is well worth the cost (for me), and if you use a +5 or +10 on a flip adapter, the lens has good working distance and can take you from moderate wide scenics to ultra-macro with one easy set-up. The Oly 14-42 Mk II version is a very decent lens, but clumsy to use underwater and not nearly as versatile as the 12-50. For all practical purposes, the 14-42 is not a macro lens at all, while the 12-50 has a true macro feature that gets you very close.

There is a thread on wetpixel showing the range of the 12-50 by itself with no diopters. There is a lovely scenic of a reef with an anemone, and then a macro shot of a tiny spider crab that is inside the anemone. I think it will blow you away once you check it out and your mind will be made up.

For me, I can't wait to spend my $800 and get shooting! Of course, I am insane, like all of us U/W photogs. But, really, this is the dream all-around general use lens set up. Nothing else comes close.

Happy shooting! I am supposed to get mine next week (hopefully!) but I am #8 on the wait list, so others see the utility in this as well.

Guy, why do you think the OM-D offers so much more? Is it the extra control wheels? It looked to me like the key features I wanted were ported to the E-PL5 (I am a current E-PL3 user).

Also you could drop your 60mm macro into the 12-50mm Nauticam port. No access to the focus limiting switch (but please Nauticam, provide a gear that gives us access to the focus limiter on the 60mm in the 12-50mm port!) Re-using ports saves $$, weight, space...

A radical alternative is the 4" Nauticam dome which will house the US$1100 12-35mm f/2.8 Panasonic zoom. Nauticam has a flip diopter for this port. Don't know that anyone's tried this yet. The 4" dome will also house the Olympus 9-18mm zoom which will get you wider angle shots if you want them.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your comments. I should have put down the intended use of the preferred zoom but the original post was getting a bit long winded so I left it off.
I'm looking at using the lens for, locally, weedy sea dragons and very soon a trip across the border to Rapid Bay for the Leafy Seadragons. The idea of the zoom is so that I can get in really close for the whole/full body shots with the lens zoomed out a little and then when I want some close-ups I can zoom right in and also use the flip diopters. I already have the 45mm macro and do not like this lens at all on the PEn system(early) because it hunts waaay too much.
I am looking mainly at quality image results and I have nothing to really complain about with the current 14-42 but I was checking for opinions on other zooms that are available.
Bruce

i am debating about getting a 12-50 since they can be had in the mid US$300 range and i've seen folks post nice results.

Guy, why do you think the OM-D offers so much more? Is it the extra control wheels? It looked to me like the key features I wanted were ported to the E-PL5 (I am a current E-PL3 user).

Compared to my E-PL2 it is just night and day as to ease of use. The control wheels are amazing for manual exposure control, the electronic viewfinder is a whole step ahead in terms of useability/viewability. It's just something you need to try in hand. It is the best of SLR and rangefinder features to me.

+1 on the EVF. It brings instant manual shooting capability to the masses. You see the effect of exposure settings as you change aperture, shutter or ISO. It's so easy, that in order to offset my feelings of cheating, I'm shooting rolls of B&W film in an old rangefinder for some of the time. :wink:

Are you guys talking about above water or underwater?
I have both the epl2 and the em5. I have the olympus housing for the epl2, no housing for em5.
Yes, the em5 is much easier to use above water and I really like the feel of it. I did have Nikon a D50, then D7000 so the viewfinder of the em5 is very nice and makes it much easier to shoot than the epl2 on land. Also, the control wheels are nice.
But for underwater, I've never used a viewfinder. Was P&S first, then epl2.
I'm kind of wondering if I should house the em5 or go for the epl5.
But, I'm also thinking of just keeping the epl2 as my UW rig for the next couple of years and adding the 60mm macro to go along with my 9-18 & Zen port. I'm still really happy with the epl2 underwater.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom