Beware Diver Emporium online retail site!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shooter61:
I have done dealings with online sites who I am not going to disclose, and I found that it's just not worth it, if you can buy locally, do it. If you have to spend a couple extra bucks do it, cause in the long run it will pay off. At the shop I work at for example, it will cost you $55.00 yearly to have the equipment you buy from us (being a dealer) serviced. Where as if you buy it from others who are not dealers you have no warranty there for to ship it to someone pay for parts, service, and return shipping it's going to be around $150.00, (I know I just had to do it). All in all if possible, support your local dive shop as much as possible an don't buy somthing thats $100.00 cheaper with no service on the other end. I have found from experience that what goes around comes around.
Ryan

What else would anyone expect a guy that works in a dive shop say?

I buy from various sources lds, scubatoys.com , scuba.com , and another dive shop about 45 minutes away.

I did buy several things well over a $100.00 cheaper (Like my cobra computer and Vyper) and saved enough to buy more gear. If something happens with No warranty I could buy another one and the price would be similar for the two as I would have paid for 1 computer.

It's also old and not true saying just because you buy online you don't have a warranty. When this gets stated at a dive shop I walk out as they have NO clue.

Isn't Scuba for FUN!!!!

shooter61:
I have done dealings with online sites who I am not going to disclose, and I found that it's just not worth it, if you can buy locally, do it. If you have to spend a couple extra bucks do it, cause in the long run it will pay off. At the shop I work at for example, it will cost you $55.00 yearly to have the equipment you buy from us (being a dealer) serviced. Where as if you buy it from others who are not dealers you have no warranty there for to ship it to someone pay for parts, service, and return shipping it's going to be around $150.00, (I know I just had to do it). All in all if possible, support your local dive shop as much as possible an don't buy somthing thats $100.00 cheaper with no service on the other end. I have found from experience that what goes around comes around.
Ryan

Actually, for any reg purchased from us, we charge $39.95 for an annual, and parts are free... so that is a bit below $150...

But back to the topic of this thread... I had a run in with that guy once myself... so I'm sure the original poster has not edited or altered the correspondence. I happened across their site, and noticed he had stolen a bunch of the art work off my site. I called up and explained that was my art work, and could he please glean his photos from the manufacturers site, not mine... to which my reply was that I should go F%$^ myself and if I didn't like it... take him to court, followed by a click and a dial tone.

Kinda' told me in a matter of seconds that this was not someone I would have to worry about as competition...

I love my LDS, HOWEVER, I just bought a new DST on line, $169.95.
LDS, $250.00
What would do?....and be honest.
Doc Harry is right, an experience like this one should be told, and let the reader decide for themselves how they wish to take it. And if the experience was a good one, that too should be made known. The responce from ol cap't was absurd, and he deserves to be slammed for what ammounts to a suicidal business attitude. Want good service? Lots of fantastic places to go. Two of the best are constantly spoken of right here. LP, outstanding inventory and quick shipping. Scuba Toys? I challange anyone to honestly say they have been treated badly, eather on line, or on the phone with them. And you can bet their patience has been tried more than once. I dont give a rats rump how cheap the cost, no excuse to insult or treat anyone badly.

Shopping online or shopping in person, the customer deserves at least an opportunity to be just that... A customer.

Based on the e-mail at the beginning of this thread, which I would gather from reading other posts in this thread is probably genuine, and to their response to scubatoys, it just seems like this guy is what some of us would technically call a reall a-hole.

"Capt Dave" may just be totally burnt out on retail, and he obviously needs a change of venue.

People here just keep comparing their LDS to online purchasing... However, this interaction could have just as easily happened in person. Would the customer be just as right to walk out of the store, and post their disgust on SB? Sure.

After reading this, I would say that people should not only avoid their online store, but their brick and mortar store as well... Let's help capt dave find his new life, by not supporting his store, forcing him to do something else... because soon enough, people like this go out of business.

Thanks for being rude... And remember every dive shop is an LDS to someone.

mnj1233:
Thanks for pointing out the obvious, shop LDS and support your community dealer and service team!!!!!
I'll remember that next time I'm shopping for a car - gotta support the community dealer and service team.

Back tp the original post subject for a second here, but I was curious so checked a few other sites, and one thing that did come is that according to PADI, neither Diver Emporium, nor its parent company Sea of Cortez appear in the PADI Dive Ceter database. Not certain if this means they're not PADI certified, but I was under the impression that PADI kept their dive center database up to date.

Also Diver Emporium does not show up as a show up in SeaLife's, Mares', Suunto's, and a dozen other supplier's dealers database either.

Now I'm not experienced in the dive shop business but if a retailer claims to be an authorized dealer for many suppiers, but does not appear in many of those same supplier's authorized retailer's databases, then, for me, this raises the red flag.

I have no affiliation with the original poster, nor is this my first post here. I am not accusing the Diver Emporium of anything, so I do not have to give them the benefit of doubt, or make excuses for their apparent lack of professionalism.

But as far as I am concerend, when I do web research on a given retailer, regardless of the type of equipment I am buying (diving, computer, etc) I also cross reference what the retailer's site says against what the supplier's site says and I always give weight to the supplier's site. If they do not have that on-line retailer listed in their database, I stay away from that retailer. Buying from such a retailer could pottentially void a warantee.

Storm

Scubaroo:
I'll remember that next time I'm shopping for a car - gotta support the community dealer and service team.

I dont see the correlation between buying a car and scuba shops????? Please elaborate. Local shops are not getting rich and most are in the business because they love the sport. If your lucky enough to have one close by to service gear on a last minute basis/take time to discuss various options with you and allow you to test gear they have already purchased prior to buying then you ought to try and support the shop lest they go away. I dont own a shop, I do run a charter and without locals loyal to our business there would be NO boats that could afford to operate.
So save your precious $20-30 and buy it all on-line just quit complaining about how you got .........ed.

dbg40:
I love my LDS, HOWEVER, I just bought a new DST on line, $169.95.
LDS, $250.00
What would do?....and be honest.

I'd go to my LDS, tell him I am looking for a DST and the price that I found online. He will either counter with a competetive offer or tell me to get it on line. He will not charge any more to service it because I did not buy it from him. He won't complain about online sellers or buyers. He will continue to treat me well every time I go to his store even if it is just for air.

What would your LDS do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom