BEWARE HOUSTON AIRPORT IAH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of months ago it took me an hour to leave the terminal C parking garage at IAH due to traffic. I spent 45 minutes on the 6th floor alone. Think it was the Friday before spring break. I am back to using airport affiliated economy parking because sometimes the shuttles have shortcuts they can use with security gate passes

This is some billion dollar plus renovation with the stated goal of improving the international arrival hall/area which I never found to be a real problem (although i never have to transit through so I haven’t experienced the issues others mentioned with that. ). The international hall is only 20 years old so spending a billion dollars changing that is very odd to say the least. I tried to find more info about the stated objectives a few months ago but found very little. They also blocked off (or even removed ?) the D and E terminal parking for the project.

Austin's airport is also becoming a PITA. It used to be that you would exit the doors across from the baggage claim and the taxi line would be right there. Now to get a taxi you have to cross seven lanes of traffic and "white zone", go all the way through one parking garage, cross over to and enter the next parking garage, go up one floor, and maybe there will be taxis there. I don't know if this is temporary.

One night my wife and I landed at about 10:30PM; by the time we got to the taxi zone it was close to midnight, and when we got to the taxi zone there were about 50 people and ONE(!!!) taxi. A few cabs trickled in and the one we finally got crammed six of us in going to different destinations, and the driver charged me 40 bucks for a ride that's usually about $15. It was about 1:30AM when we got home.

I find IAH easy enough to transit through and overnight for next day flights. It’s never my final destination. I do it regularly now that Delta has all but punted where I go in the Caribbean. YMMV

One night my wife and I landed at about 10:30PM; by the time we got to the taxi zone it was close to midnight, and when we got to the taxi zone there were about 50 people and ONE(!!!) taxi. A few cabs trickled in and the one we finally got crammed six of us in going to different destinations, and the driver charged me 40 bucks for a ride that's usually about $15. It was about 1:30AM when we got home.
Have you tried Uber?

Have you tried Uber?
We tried that night, but we couldn't get cellphone service in the garage. I went outside downstairs and connected but there were no Ubers or Lyfts that could get there in the following half hour. Uber and Lyft have to pick up at the same place as the taxis, BTW.

That biga$$ airport has no TSA PRE or CLEAR after rechecking bags

NO CLEAR? I aint going.

That being said, Hobby is great. Even got to listen to a little Jazz.

@Dave Dillehay Dont you owe me a margarita????

NO CLEAR? I aint going.
In less than three months I'll get Pre benefits. I already got them in Lubbock and Cody last week. :wink:

In less than three months I'll get Pre benefits. I already got them in Lubbock and Cody last week. :wink:
Pre check? You should have spent the extra 20 for global entry.

And ONLY pre-check is still pedestrian.

CLEAR means while you are sweating in the steaming cesspool of humanity called the precheck line, my CLEAR rep will lead me to the front of the PreCheck line to cut in front of you.

Its so much more dignified. I will point my nose at you and give sniff and disdainful look while passing by....

1653929706268.png

Pre check? You should have spent the extra 20 for global entry.
I didn't pay anything and refuse to pay for benefits. I just show them how old I am and now get to keep shoes, belt, and vest on.

Austin's airport is also becoming a PITA. It used to be that you would exit the doors across from the baggage claim and the taxi line would be right there. Now to get a taxi you have to cross seven lanes of traffic and "white zone", go all the way through one parking garage, cross over to and enter the next parking garage, go up one floor, and maybe there will be taxis there. I don't know if this is temporary.
Apparently it is not temporary, see Could Austin’s airport taxis break free from the garage? - Austin Monitor

If you are flying into the Austin airport you'd best have someone pick you up.

Back
Top Bottom