Beware!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you. Now please let us know which one was your review..........:idk:
Probly "Nice Hotel, VERY rude people!!!! AMERICANS BEWARE”"

I'm still curious about this...?
Ok that does sound like a dreadful week, Scubarus66. Simply referring to the offensive as Europeans is painting with a broad brush tho. Nationalities vary greatly even in generalities. Do you not know where they were from?

12 other people at a resort and you couldn't just avoid them easily...?

I really had to read the post twice because i didn't understood the whole " i stopped in my place because the 3 guys wouldn't give me enough room".

I am certain these 3 guys never even realised that you were there....

If 3 men walk side by side i move out of their way because they are 3 and i am alone. I do the same for wheelchaired persons, trams, schoolchildren.
This is the norm in Europe
IMHO opinion i feel the world does not cater to Flemish people, they only like my euro's.
I feel discriminated by the fact that 5993000000 people don't speak my language on this globe. That's why i speak 5 languages. Dutch, French, German, English and some Spanish.
If you have this attitude in Antwerp where you will "stand your ground" walking in town, and you come across a group of 5 North African Immigrants, they will just kill you because you gave then "no respect". Not because you are an American but because you are alone. It's Europe! Ever been to the south of France or Spain? The have their horn glued down because they get tired pushing it all the time. They drive 100 miles an hour on narrow mountain roads and force you off if you turn up in there ideal path.
Then they get tired and sleep during half the day

It's OK, because we know they are from the Mediterané.
Europe consist of different countries who can't stand the other ones.
I even live in a country where half of the population hates the other half. We can't even form a governement. We speak different languages! And we stole a part of Germany after WWI because we could.

That's Europe. Europeans don't care. And standing your ground just confirms the fact that they hate you, unless they are your friend.

So Europeans hate everyone else unless they know them personaly, then they don't.

Jim Malone--
Very interesting to hear an insider's view....

FWIW, when I visited Bayahibe/La Romana with my family in 2009 (wow time flies), I noted:
-lots of Europeans. Americans in Punta Cana, Euorpeans in the south. Europeans defintely have the right idea.
-very little English spoken by guests at our resort. The only other English speakers were a couple of Dutch guys traveling together. BUT _everyone_ was very polite and accomodating, and the place was very nice. They did chuckle a bit at my 5mm farmer john, but what can I say, I was a newby from cold-water country.
-oh, yeah, very nice diving, with great people (thanks, Vlad!)

In defense of France--when I travelled to France in the mid 90's, back when I did speak a bit of French, I found people quite welcoming, and had a great time, especially in the south. The only place I felt things were a bit cold was Paris itself, but hey, New York ain't known for its sunny disposition either. I just chalked it up to a big city thing.

Something else to consider--most countries other than the US have a very different sense of personal space. What you might consider elbowing out of the way/rude, citizens of some other countries might consider normal social distance. We're pretty spoiled by our wide-open spaces iin the US.

Annlaur- I was on the same track. I would have said French or Russian. The two are very similar in general walking and eating rules. They too, will push you out of the way when walking or inline at a counter. Your table is in grave danger if you leave it alone, and don't even get me started on a buffet behavior set..... They will rush to get that taxi, or seat on a train. And it seems unspeakably rude to those not in the know.

OP- if this was the case, it was not personal. They could have cared less if you were American or whatever... That is the norm and not directed at any one in particular. You just learn to smile and beat the game. Sometimes it is lots of fun to win the game..... :D

:rofl3::rofl3: Just got back from DR myself & this thread cracked me up!

A couple of observations........

1) I realize that smoking is the national sport of France, perhaps the resorts could have smoking & non-smoking areas in the restaurants and buffets.

2) Could the UN negotiate an international convention banning the sale of speedos to anyone over the age of 25. C'mon guys......look in the mirror while you're sober.

There were flights leaving Punta Cana destined for both Moscow & Paris the same time as we were flying out. I can't speak Russian but my French is good enough to clearly express my opinion of queue jumpers. :D

:rofl3::rofl3: Just got back from DR myself & this thread cracked me up!

A couple of observations........

1) I realize that smoking is the national sport of France, perhaps the resorts could have smoking & non-smoking areas in the restaurants and buffets.

Smoking is not longer allowed in French cafés, restaurants, clubs, etc, except outdoors. Many hotels are also 100% non smoking.
Considering booking a flight to DR now… :wink:

2) Could the UN negotiate an international convention banning the sale of speedos to anyone over the age of 25. C'mon guys......look in the mirror while you're sober.
As long as they ban itsy bitsy bikinis as well……… No reason why you guys would be able to check out the goods and us gals couldn't. :wink:
Seriously… French guys can wear Speedos, it doesn't matter if they don't look good :
zee accent is all zey need :eyebrow:

The French beaches I've visited in the Lesser Antilles were all topless, or nude. You just learn not to look at most.

I even live in a country where half of the population hates the other half. We can't even form a government. We speak different languages! .........

You're from Canada?:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom