Big Local Dive shop problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBARACER

Reaction score
I bought an AKona deluxe backpack from my lds 1 day prior to leaving for the bahamas, and a dive knife.

When I arrived in the bahmas the new 150.00 akona bag was ripped in the front, and had a broken zipper.

I went to my lds today, cause I just returned from the bahamas, and he will not replace it, cause he said it must have got caught in a conveyor belt. He also says he doesn't think the manufacturer will replace it, and he doesn't want to absorb the cost for sending it in, cause he says "I don't want to get caught in a squeeze" ok the day I was in there I bought alot of stuff I bought a zeagle flathead VI, Mares M1 computer, zeagle octo, sherwood scuba gauges, akona bag, shirt, dive knife, mask. I spent about 1,700, and he won't replace my bag?

What should I do?

Ohh my dive knife rusted after one dive. My others have not done that, so he is going to SOS this knife, and lube it?

I think he should replace it.

Sounds like the problem lies with the airline or ferry company that transported your bag to the Bahamas. It's probably too late to report it now.

For a replacement, I'd recommend Stahlsac. I've had mine for five years or so, and keep it perpetually overloaded. Never had a single problem with it, nor does it show any signs of wear.

Stainless will rust. How easy is dependant on the alloy and how well it is taken care of. Unless there is a warentee against rust there maybe nothing he can do with the knife. The bag he should be able to send back. Usually the distributor will pay the shipping at least one way. IMO there is no reason that he should refuse to help. The manufacturer may decide that the bag was abused. In this case they often repair it (if it is fairly new) and pay shipping one way. The airlines in great for breaking your stuff. I raised hell on a plane once when I saw the gorila loading lugage body slam my bag so hard that it bounced off the conveyor and roll accross the tarmac. You should raise hell with the airline also. They get away with way too much and folks seem to love them for it.

Have you made a claim with the airline? International conventions probably protect them from replacement costs but they're usually willing to fund a repair attempt. It helps that it was new, but you have to promptly bring the damage to their attention.

Also, do you have travel insurance or DAN insurance? Travel insurance is best, but I understand the preferred DAN policies may include for up to for damaged gear $2500.

A warranty claim against the dealer and manufacturer may be tough unless the written materials promises that it is fit for air travel. If they continue to refuse to budge, at $150, small claims court or a complaint with a low cost consumer protection group may be an option.

ON the other hand, if you depend on this dealer for warranty service of major pieces of gear, you might want to think twice before burning your bridges with the LDS. Is the relationship worth more than the failure to stand behind you here, or do you think the vendor would disavow responsibililty for other problems as well? Your call.

If you don't want to go after the LDS, perhaps a claim against only the manafucturer would do? The nuisance value alone would promote service once you jumped through the hoops of serving them.

For my part, when I ship dive gear, I use a cheap but fairly indestructable hard suitcase I got at Price Club. Everything but my dry suit fits in and I duct tape the snaps to defend against the inevitable abuse. It's also insured. Good luck!

Surprisingly there is no email address listed on the Akona web page, see if you can get an email address from your LDS, if not just try a few i.e. help@akona.com or info@akona.com and see if they go through or get bounced back. Send them an email with the details, when you bought it, damaged on first trip, etc., etc. I’ve found including a digital photo of the damage is quite helpful.

I had a buckle break on a Stahl bag, sent them an email with a picture and they mailed a replacement, plus a spare, the same day. One would hope that Akona would likewise be interested in protecting their reputation and keeping a satisfied customer.

Hey, it’s worth a try.

Mike

I dont know about your other knives but stainless steel knives do rust and should be cleaned and lubed after use, specially after use in salt water. Your knife probably only has superficial rust and not any significant damage to it...yet. In my opinion, the proper diving mindset goes beyond the dive and into proper maintenence and care of your kit.

It sounds like your bag was destroyed by the carrier and not an Akona problem. I have an akona bag that I use regularly as my wet gear bag and have had no problems with it. Construction is pretty solid so far.

Man I love titanium knives:thumb:

~Marlinspike

Originally posted by SCUBARACER

Ohh my dive knife rusted after one dive. My others have not done that, so he is going to SOS this knife, and lube it?

I'm guessing 420 or 440 stainless? The higher the alloy, the better it will hold an edge, but the more corrosive it is. If you've got a 440 stainless, it'll rust overnight if you don't clean and dry it.

I'm sorry to hear that your LDS is treating you so badly, especially after spending that much money in their shop.

A sincere letter about the incident to Akona and the airline might be your best bet to see results. I find that the larger airlines can be responsive to respectful correspondence, especially if you also present them with a realistic solution (i.e. a specific, reasonable $ amount for repair). I also think that MikeS' suggestion of including a photo is a great idea, and a photocopy of your receipt verifying the purchase date can't hurt either. Hopefully one or both will help rectify the situation.

Regarding your LDS, if I were you, I certainly wouldn't reward them by making future purchases there. And if you end up having to buy a new travel bag, I also heartily recommend Stahlsac . Outstanding construction, and well thought-out design.

Good Luck,

GearHead

I used to fly alot (> 100,000 per year) and baggage gets dammaged. The basic idea of a really good bag is to hold your gear and absorb the damage from the conveyors and handlers. I have the top of the line TravelPro bags for my business travel and they get pretty beat up. As such, at best your beef is with the airline or Akona, not the LDS. Yes you spent a lot of money there, but if I buy a new suit and then fall and tear the knee, I don't expect the tailor to fix it for nothing.

Go to the airline and file a claim. Check their web site for their liability for baggage claims and see if you can get them to fix it. Thank the LDS for doing your work to clean your knife and become one of their best customers, because if I whined to my LDS about rust on my knife he would stick it in me.

Ty

I also have the Akona Rollerduffel and have used it many times on trips. I even had my weights (forgot to take out) sent to the bahamas and have had no problems. The zipper may be Akona's fault but the tear needs to be addressed by the airline. Infact any damage should be reported before leaving the baggage area.
good luck with your claim but the dive store is not responsible for this but to be nice they could contact or give you the number for Akona.

chuckrt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom