Big Local Dive shop problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't really sound like an LDS problem to me. As for the knife, I've found that a quick sos followed by drying and applying teflon lube works great for keeping the knife in good shape. Of course, I don't recommend cleaning fish with it after that.

Bringing the bag back to the shop and expecting them to repair or replace it is like bringing a new car back to the dealer that's been dinged on the road on its first trip and asking the dealer to fix it - for nothing. After all, it was a brand new car...
You put the dealer in an impossible position - damage of the sort you report is clearly from abuse, so the dealer has no recourse with the manufacturer - and it isn't up to the dealer to pursue your damage claim with the airline either. The LDS's position is the only position he can or should take. It is your responsibility to do battle with the airline, not his.
------------------
There is an exception. I had a Pelican 1650 case destroyed by the airlines its first trip out. Since Pelican had advertised this case as "indestructable" in their ads, and had specifically made claims that baggage handlers could not destroy it, they replaced the case. They also dropped the claims from their ads shortly after that.
I did not involve the LDS in that incident - just the airlines and Pelican.
Rick

I agree with Rick on this, you should be taking your problem up with the airline.

after spending $1,700.00 at the LDS I think a bit more service could be expected. LDS could have discussed problem with Akona. Some mfgrs are correcting problems that are clearly not theirs in the name of good customer relations. At least they could discuss repairability of the item and associated costs. The LDS customer should expect something for the extra $500.00 his package cost vs. online.

SCUBARACER - If you decide to replace the bag out of your pocket or the airlines, they list for $105.00 at leisurepro.

Last I looked, there are about 20 LDS in Austin.

While I am not a proponent of spending extra $$ in to my LDS (I shop online due to the fact that my money doesn't gorw on trees) But I think that in this case having spent the $$$ at the LDS does NOT entitle you for a replacement. If I were the LDS I would give you the mfg. phone number and ask you to fight it out between the airline and the manufacturer.
Why should the LDS be responsible? The only way I would feel right calling my LDS was if there was a specific warrenty to cover it (what lunatic would insure luggage against an airline convayer belt?)

Just my 2 cents

Akona is owned by Sherwood, may try that route as well...

Akona's address is 3 Chrysler Drive, Irvine Ca. 92618

I do think it stinks the LDS won't try to help you more after the other money spent (believe me, they have more than made up their cost on the bag on you), but the real stink should be made with the airline and Akona IMO as you have either a defective bag which the manufacturer should replace, OR a nice bag that the airline destroyed.

Originally posted by awap
after spending $1,700.00 at the LDS I think a bit more service could be expected. LDS could have discussed problem with Akona.
So, based on having spent $50,000 at your local Mercedes dealer, you'd expect "a bit more service" from the dealer if someone dinged your car at the airport?
Give me a break.
Rick

Bags, especially dive bags, are supposed to be rugged, and able to take somewhat of an airport beating.

I can understand after a yr, the bag going down, but I got to the Bahamas, and the bag was shot!

It should be able to take a little abuse. He highly recommended the bag saying it was rugged, and would last through alot...

I believe it was a manufactures defect.

We had 4 more bags of what was supposed to be weaker quality same size, and capacity go through, and not a scratch on them.

He is going to send it back to the manufacturer, and see what can be done, but the freight is at my expense, and so are the repair cost. I would like a new bag, not a resewn one.

Rick,

I think your analogy doesn't quite work in this case. A dive bag is supposed to last more than one trip. When an LDS sells you something based on their recommendation, they should stand behind it within reasonable limits.

To modify your analogy, I agree that a "door ding" shouldn't warrant "a bit more service" from a car dealer, any more than a small hole should warrant more service from the LDS.

But, let's say, for example, that someone dinged your car at the airport and the entire door fell off. I would think that in that case, you would be on your way back to the dealership wondering what kind of car they sold you. And true, your beef should be with the manufacturer, but your representative should be the dealer.

In my opinion, at a minimum, a responsible shop owner would have offered to contact Akona, and recommend that the customer negotiate with the airline at the same time.

Originally posted by Rick Murchison

So, based on having spent $50,000 at your local Mercedes dealer, you'd expect "a bit more service" from the dealer if someone dinged your car at the airport?
Give me a break.
Rick

Originally posted by Rick Murchison

Give me a break.
Rick

I would expect to be able to take it back to the dealer & have a professional repair and service. I would not expect him to tell me he doesn't want to get involved. I'm not asking for free service, just the professional service I know a reputable dealer would provide at a fair cost.

You really think that is too much?

Back
Top Bottom