Big Local Dive shop problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no bag or container known to man that the gorillas handling bags at airports can't destroy. None. Note in my previous post, they destroyed a Pelican 1650! Now that takes real talent. The point is, this damage is 99% probable mishandling by the airport goons, and not any manufacturing defect. If your baggage gets destroyed in the airport, don't blame the folks who sold it to you - you looked at it when you bought it; you packed it and looked at it then; you handled it getting it there. "Manufacturer's defects" appear in normal handling - "ripped in the front, and had a broken zipper" is mishandling by the baggage bubbas. It just simply isn't the LDS's fault.
Rick

Guys, Rick is correct. The airlines have whole departments that handle damaged baggage claims. Dive bags are supposed to be rugged, but unless you're packing you gear in a steel packing crate, it can get damaged.

SCUBARACER, your LDS sounds like a pretty good shop to me. He is going to send it back for you, right? Why should he take the brunt of the cost for something that he didn't do. It sounds like he is trying to be helpful... Heck, he is even doing the maintenance on your knife for you... something you should be doing...

Again, contact the airline and see what they will do. They deal with this kink of stuff every day. Go thank your LDS and hope he'll still do business with you after your whinning.

Ty

Whining?

Well maybe I am mad cause of other reason...

this same lds serviced three of my reg sets, and 2 of them broke.

I picked them up a week prior to the trip, and when I got there 2 hoses popped off one of them, one octo leaked, and 1 oring was cracked, this was his 2nd attempt on "servicing" my regs.

They popped off while setting up the equipment, and I noticed the octo leaking badly on my gf's since she was using it.

Maybe I am expecting a superior service since I received less than careful maintenance on my life support equipment

Originally posted by awap

I would expect to be able to take it back to the dealer & have a professional repair and service. I would not expect him to tell me he doesn't want to get involved. I'm not asking for free service, just the professional service I know a reputable dealer would provide at a fair cost.

You really think that is too much?
No.
But that's not what you complained about. You complained that "he will not replace it." Well, that sounds like you're asking for free service to me. What did you mean by your complaint that he wouldn't replace it - you mean you were willing to buy a new bag? I don't think so. I think it's clear you were expecting the LDS to pick up the tab for damage they didn't cause. And that just ain't right. Your complaint should be with the airlines alone.
Rick

Originally posted by SCUBARACER
Whining?

Well maybe I am mad cause of other reason...

this same lds serviced three of my reg sets, and 2 of them broke.

I picked them up a week prior to the trip, and when I got there 2 hoses popped off one of them, one octo leaked, and 1 oring was cracked, this was his 2nd attempt on "servicing" my regs.

They popped off while setting up the equipment, and I noticed the octo leaking badly on my gf's since she was using it.

Maybe I am expecting a superior service since I received less than careful maintenance on my life support equipment
You didn't mention these in your initial complaint. Got any more hidden away in your bag of brown stamps? Let's get the whole thing out on the table at once. If you're going to complain, complain about it all, not pull one thing out at a time. The torn bag you have no complaint with the LDS over - the regs you do. But why hold that back until now? What else is there?
Rick

I just didn't want to let it all out...

Today when I was in there a customer had just bought a smartpro that didnt work, he had 1 more in stock, but he told the guy all he could do was send it out for service...

I think that is a little bit crappy IMO.

I do not whine by any means, it is just everything is accumulating with this guy, several other friends of mine have received poor repairs from them

Scubaracer,
it sounds like you are losing patience after a series of disappointments. Sometimes this is part of a pattern of negligence, but it can also be a series of abberations at an otherwise OK shop. LDSs have new workers often to my experience, young guys who may be tomarrow's fine instructors. Right now, they are struggling to learn repair, sales, DM finer points, etc.

In the summer, a busy period can make things go haywire as repairs, orders, classes, and local trips accelerate beyond chaos. When one repairman had to take time off at my fave LDS last summer, the nerves of the owners were so frayed that every complaint seemed just another twig in a growing bonfire. Eventually, they caught up.

Whether or not you get satisfaction from the airline or the manufacturer, it may be worth showing compassion if the LDS is simply overwhelmed right now. If they do not respond to kind requests to stand behind the repairs you pay for & they are defensive about mistakes, I'd support voting with your feet & telling your buddies why.

Originally posted by Rick Murchison

No.
But that's not what you complained about. You complained that "he will not replace it." Well, that sounds like you're asking for free service to me. What did you mean by your complaint that he wouldn't replace it - you mean you were willing to buy a new bag? I don't think so. I think it's clear you were expecting the LDS to pick up the tab for damage they didn't cause. And that just ain't right. Your complaint should be with the airlines alone.
Rick

Rick

I think you may have my responses confused with someone else's. My first response started out with "I agree LDS should not eat this one BUT..." and I have never suggested that this should cost the LDS cash, just a little service acting as a go between with his valuble customer and his supplier.

Originally posted by awap

Rick

I think you may have my responses confused with someone else's.
You are correct, sir... a thousand gomens...
Rick
(gomen - from the phonetic "go-men-a-sai" - or apology in Japanese)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom