Big tanks in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you really need doubles to stay with everyone else on a rec dive, instead of increasing gear clutter and "patching" the real problem with more air, take steps to reduce your RVM.

If you really need doubles to stay with everyone else on a rec dive, instead of increasing gear clutter and "patching" the real problem with more air, take steps to reduce your RVM.

Hey Tek: Reducing air consumption takes practice (I know because I am still working on it!) If I have spent a lot of money for a travel vacation to Cozumel I would want to use larger tanks to increase bottom time while I work on my RVM.

Gaffer

My air consumption rate is extremely low - I am 5' 8" tall, weigh 140 pounds, and bicycle 150-200 miles a week. Roger, on the other hand, is well over six feet, well over 200 pounds, and works at a desk job. The difference in our lung volume alone, means Roger will use up his air twice as fast as I do. Bigger people need more air.

Just think of the second tank as a very big pony bottle. :wink:

Hinalo,

We dive SCC a few times a year. They have 100's you can use. I think it is 5 extra for the 100's. I don't think you would be able to bring a tank from another dive op, but call SCC and they can let you know for sure. Ask for either Raymundo or Willem at the dive shop.

We will be there at the end of March also. Have fun!

Thanks! AS I think more about it, schlepping a set of 120s in from somewhere else when there are 100s right there violates my laziness principle. I'll be happy with what's available. Maybe we'll cross paths if you're there by 3/25. I'll probably be the only guy wearing a hood.

My son and I will be there from the 21st to the 28th. He is 14, we are also hard to miss. See you then!

What I'm wondering is: can you (or does it make sense to) rent 120s from a dive op who has them and then use them on the boats with the dive op who takes you out?

That wouldn't even be an option. The operations that provide the larger steel tanks are not going to rent them to someone diving with another operation...it kind of defeats the whole purpose.

Of all of the operations listed in this thread, the only operations that use STEEL 100's are:
Liquid Blue
Aldora
Living Underwater

Shops with ALUMINUM 100's, in limited quantities are the others mentioned.

Living Underwater has steel LP 95's and 120's.

Thanks, Christi. Makes sense. Wiilldd1, I'll be there from 3/21 - 26 so I'm sure we'll connect!

Back
Top Bottom