Biggest thing killing dive shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing that will possibly hurt dive shops is that some equipment manufacturers now sell directly to consumers. I know ScubaPro does this. I'm assuming they sell for the retail price but at some point I suspect they may offer a better deal then retail.

The local dive shops will react in the only way they can- as they certify new students they will steer them towards gear produced by manufacturers who aren't trying to circumvent them, maybe even going so far as to disparage gear sold by such companies, it's literally their only way of possibly defending themselves. So the manufacturers that sell direct to consumers may lose some business from new divers, problem for the LDS is how many new divers are there, compared to the existing dive population that is more than happy to buy direct to save a few bucks.

The equipment manufacturers aren't dumb, they know they'll alienate the dive shops by selling direct, they have most likely done the market research, had a few board meetings and came up with the conclusion that they will do better with their strategy which is of course throwing the LDS under the bus.

My next-door neighbor, who works for Dick's, said they are busy buying out all the other Sporting Goods stores, aside from Big 5. I heard a rumor that Best Buy is going out of business (or closing), at least the one near me. Do you have any data to confirm your statements?
Dick's may be struggling but, from what I heard, they are struggling to become a near-monopoly.

I have a meaty reply to my logic, but have to run out the door. right now Will provide reply later in the day : In the meantime, take a look at the stock of each company YTD or over the past year DKS and BBY I'll elaborate later, but if you look at Dicks, it's an escalator going down big time. Several reasons why in my post later today. Dicks buying other "losing business", doesn't make the it right or for a healthy sector.

One thing I don’t see mentioned regarding manufacturers selling direct to consumers is the fact of service. Most people don't service their own gear, but if they start buying direct from the company to get a deal and cutting out the LDS isn’t that going to put a wedge in between the consumer and the local shop? I’m sure there are places to mail the reg away for service, but I don’t want to have to box up my reg, drive to UPS, stand in line and pay shipping to send it back to some service center.
I’d rather drop it off to my shop as I’m out doing other things.

I’m sure there are places to mail the reg away for service, but I don’t want to have to box up my reg, drive to UPS, stand in line and pay shipping to send it back to some service center.

I've found a couple of regulator technicians online (one in particular) who sell and service regs and do so for a fraction of the cost of the LDS, about $50 per regulator whether it's the first or second stage.

I've always got boxes and packing material at my job which makes it a bit easier but someone without a business who knows they'll be shipping regulators can hold onto boxes and packing material or purchase a roll of bubble plastic and a roll of clear packing tape which can last a lifetime. When you need to ship your reg, simply remove the hoses, wrap it with the bubble wrap, seal the box with clear packing tape (so you can also attach a shipping label), and drop it off at your local shipping place, or use the automated machine if your USPS has one. Or, for even greater convenience, download a prepaid shipping label from USPS online or another shipping company, tape it to the box, and they can pick it up with your mail or you can arrange a pickup without ever leaving your house.

It's really easy

So the manufacturers that sell direct to consumers may lose some business from new divers, problem for the LDS is how many new divers are there, compared to the existing dive population that is more than happy to buy direct to save a few bucks.

new divers are the ones buying up the new equipment. existing divers are spending money on trips and maybe photo/video equipment, not another bc or reg when theirs works fine.

new divers are the ones buying up the new equipment. existing divers are spending money on trips and maybe photo/video equipment, not another bc or reg when theirs works fine.

Then the manufacturers selling direct to consumers are screwing themselves out of the large amount of new diver business that will be steered their way by the LDS. Seems rather shortsighted, unless they know something we don't.

One thing I don’t see mentioned regarding manufacturers selling direct to consumers is the fact of service. Most people don't service their own gear, but if they start buying direct from the company to get a deal and cutting out the LDS isn’t that going to put a wedge in between the consumer and the local shop? I’m sure there are places to mail the reg away for service, but I don’t want to have to box up my reg, drive to UPS, stand in line and pay shipping to send it back to some service center.

local lds is not always guaranteed to do the work quickly or well though. mailing it out is a better option for some.

Some manufacturers service themselves. Apeks will do it. Obviously it helps that I'm in the UK. I service my own stuff. But if I didn't I'd rather trust them than some random shop. And they are reasonably priced.

local lds is not always guaranteed to do the work quickly or well though. mailing it out is a better option for some.

In this respect there's no difference- no guarantee an online reg tech is going to do it faster or correctly either.

That much being said, my LDS has done improper repairs on my regs but I also had an issue with a rebuilt reg purchased on line have an internal O-ring blow (the one at the top of the first stage that has something to do with being able to adjust the IP) as soon as I threw it on a tank and turned on the gas.

Back
Top Bottom