Bike question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ms. Ann Thrope

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, we arrived on the island yesterday. We're here for a couple of weeks. Per our original plan, we went to the Sombrero bike rental, hoping to rent a couple of decent bikes. Couldn't find any sign of them , and the ladies running the little store next to where they should have been said they were gone. Not sure if they meant for the summer or forever. Anyhow, they seemed to think Isis might have bicycles. And they do. Four of them. But they're not good. I had perhaps the best of them, a somewhat rusty Bimex with weird, bent pedals. The other wasn't nearly big enough for someone 6' tall. We returned them quickly. But we still think it would be nice to have bikes. I was originally thinking that if I had something suitable, I wouldn't mind trying to transverse the island. I/we bike a fair amount at home. Anyone have any ideas? We've even considered the possibility of buying cheap bikes and just leaving them to fate when we're done with them.

There has been a new bike place open on Avenida 11 between 10 and Melgar (just west of the fishing store whose name escapes me at the moment). I walked past it a few times in June but didn't go in so I don't know if they rent or only sell new ones. Maybe try there?

So, are bikes safer than scooters? Still got to deal with the traffic, unless you plan to ride on the sidewalk and endanger pedestrians - which is illegal here.

Ann,

We rented bikes from Sombrero last fall and were very happy with them.

When I saw your post, I emailed Rogelio, the manager of Sombrero. He responded within an hour or two. Here's his answer:

we move. we have the bikes beside the Rental Harley Davidson. under the Palmar Condominium , close to the Park Royal Hotel. ( TUK-TUK ) rental. where are the Moto carros Red. Tomas has the bikes for rent.

Ive often thought about just buying a new bicycle at mega and giving it to some kid when I leave...a new bike compared to a week or two worth of Taxi fare I would guess would about be sixes!

For inexpensive(relatively speaking for Cozumel) you could look at Elektra, Mega & of course Sam's. There is a bike shop on 30th close to Pemex. I got fed up trying to find an affordable aluminum framed bike there & ended up buying a couple from Walmart & bringing them down on the plane...not that it would help you since you're already there.

Ron, thanks for that! And MMM, we'll check out that bike place tonight or tomorrow and report back either way.
Don, it's not all about the safety. It's about the exploration. We ride some of Chicago's busier streets, sometimes during rush hour. I don't understand every traffic nuance here, but there's a lot less of that traffic! Also, there's that cyclopista. Sweet that they even built it. This morning we went north, and I got probably a couple kilometers past where the road ends by the golf course. I was aiming for Passion Island's jumping off point, but I didn't trust the bike enough to press the way.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2013 at 05:09 PM ----------

Btw, seems Mega has some single-speed Bimex bikes for about 1400 pesos, if anyone is pondering this kind of thing as well. Not sure if there would be significant tax or assembly on top of that. I think I could make one of those work, but none of the frames looked quite big enough for my husband, and if they're that cheap, too small could equal easily-broken-when-extended seatpost or some such thing.

I bought a bike at the store behind Chedraui several years ago for around $100 and it came fully assembled, no taxes. It was sold as an adult bike but is smaller, remembering that Mayans are smaller than the average gringo. It's just fine for my 5'3". Then I brought down a bunch of stuff from Canada to "adjust" it. That included a new seat (with flashing lights on the back of the seat), mirrors for both handlebars, a bell, a light, a large basket, a lock and a tire pump. And a helmet (which few people here wear). The bike has got some rust on it now but has held up well otherwise.

IMO, bicycles are MUCH safer than scooters since you aren't going as fast. You need to keep your eye out for parked cars opening doors or turning in front of you, but that is just basic road safety. At busy intersections (along 30 or 65) I often just find a crosswalk and walk the bike across. Same thing when I want to go against traffic on a one way street. I don't ride on the sidewalk except if I am riding down to caleta early in the morning. I don't feel safe when all the taxis are lined up near the cruise ship pier and you have to ride in the traffic with only one lane. I have had a couple of taxi drivers challenge me about riding on the sidewalk but I just tell them (in Spanish) that I don't feel safe with all of them occupying the second lane. The furthest I have biked has been down to the Money Bar but I've often thought about taking some longer bike trips just for fun. So far, laziness has won out.

The best advice I can add regards Melgar between Calle 11 and the airport blvd. Don't ride in the parking lane -- it's full of motor oil. Take the lane and make the cars wait for you. (You can easily share the lane with motos.) This also eliminates the opening-door problem. Melgar is very slippery when it's wet because it's a varnished surface, so watch for that -- not just when it rains but also when people wash their sidewalks and dump a lot of water in the street, which combines with the oils to form a glaze.

For zipping through Centro, Ave. 10 going north and Ave. 15 going south work really well.

Also remember to stop if there are pedestrians on the raised crosswalks: Melgar at Juarez, Ave 10 & Juarez, many schools, and at the IMSS hospital and Unidad Deportiva on Calle 11.

Lights are required for night riding and are available at all of the bike shops -- I think lights are vital and, even if you have them, don't assume that the drivers see you! A sound device -- bell or horn -- is also required. These rules are not enforced, of course!

We got our bikes! Thanks to Ron G for doing the obvious thing and emailing Rogelio. I did the same, and this morning we picked up our bikes from the tuk-tuk place. My husband's "xl" is plenty big enough for his height--might very well be the biggest rental bike on the island. The "s" works for 5'3". Both bikes are much better than what we got the other day, if not home-bike quality. I'd prefer something more road-bikish, but it will do!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom