Bike Tube Straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
A dumb question but after several iterations of bicycle tube hold down straps none have been "right". So, exactly what type of rubber, tube, straps or whatever are you guys using on your shoulder straps for hold downs for BC inflator, back up light etc. If it is a bike tube, what size? or how?

yes, bike inner tube. i got mine from wal-mart. cost about $2.50. i think it was a dirt bike tube.

a friend of mine went to a bike shop and asked for an inner tube that had a hole or something, and they gave him a huge one for free.

what kind of issues are you having with the ones you've tried?

Hmm,,I dont know the size, but I use one of those skinny tires on the 10 speed kind of bikes.

tubes (the really skinny ones) they come in sizes like 700C x 22, 700C x 25, etc. I don't think you can get a backup light thru one tho. I use mountain bike tubes.

Ask any bike shop for a selection of trashed tubes, they'll usually give you a couple for free (some times it helps to tell them you're cutting them up for a project and not trying to patch them...).

Well, maybe it works as intended. The tube just seems to small for anything. I have a mountain bike tube. I don't like the way it tries to squnch up the strap. Are you just running the inflator hose under it or the both. I know some use a bungee for this as well. The light I am trying to put under it (R shouldr) for now is just a UK 4AA light. Nothing big. N

The tubes I use are a just a mt. bike tube about 2 inches wide when you flaten them out. I cut them into 1/2 in strip and I just run the inlater house threw it and leave the coragated hose out and the ones that I use for the lights I just put the head of the light in not the body of the light.

Thank you one and all for the answers, I guess I am doing it correctly. N

If you want a bigger tube diameter then get a kids scooter tube.

OK, I'll tell on myself here.

I went to the bike store, and parked in the back alley parking lot. The place was closed, and as I was getting back in the car, I saw a bunch of old tubes hanging out of the dumpster.

I got three sizes.

Call me the Dumpster Diving Diver.

I use mtnbike tubes as well...
So far I´ve used the ones from my own bike when I´ve gotten a flat tire...
I usually put on 3 on each side at a time to keep from having to unthread the harness...also I try to apply the rule of thirds whenever I can ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom