Biting bugs in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's a tongue twister...but...in 4 days time is it likely that we will need mega strength bug repellant?

It's always better to have it, then have to buy it there. It doesn't take up much room..so bring a bottle or two.

It's always a gamble, some times we have a few and other times we don't see many at all. Most of the time one or 2 bite me and when their friends watch them die in agony, they leave me alone.....my wife is another matter. A small bottle of something with deet in it works fine. The higher level of deet the better IMO. The only real time we have actually noticed bugs has been in the evening at dinner and to occasional one in the room.

DrSteve:
It's a tongue twister...but...in 4 days time is it likely that we will need mega strength bug repellant?

Like Natasha said, it doesn't take up much room, so it's better to take it or not. To be honest, the no-see-ums that come out at night & the sand flies will be the main reason you'll need it. Better to prevent it than to suffer!

BTW, don't forget some antihistamine & possibly a topical anti-itch cream in case you DO get bit.

Have fun! :D

When I was just there only a couple of mosquitos bite me..it wasn't bad at all.

I took Deet and it stayed in the package. I may have been bitten once at Casablanca by something hovering under the table. I was attacked by sand flies at the top of 1000 steps, they went for an open wound on my leg, it was pretty gross, but a little water washed them right off. We were there middle of June last year. ymmv.

We were on Bonaire & Curacao 1 week each around Memorial Day last year - and both islands had 'unseasonable' rains just before we got there, so the buggers (skeeters) took advantage to breed while they could. Mostly a problem at night, as the windows etc. don't have screens - close up the place and run the A/C before darkness falls if it's similar conditions this year. I don't remember them being a problem at open-air restaraunts, even after dark though - mainly at the accomodations.

They were tiny - not like the ones where I grew up, which if they learned to co-operate, three or four working together might manage to carry off chihuahuas. All the more maddening to find them after they got indoors after dark.

Have a great trip - hope you have the opportunity to dive every site everyone submitted as a favorite, so you can give us your reviews adding to the list!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom