black bolt-snaps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paint them.
Sooner or later the paint will come off and you'll have a nice shiny lure hanging near your face.

Would gun blacking react on brass? How about liver of sulphur, I think that's what we used in Jr. High to force a tarnish on metal craft.

How about bead glasting stainless for the matte finish? Getting the grit out might be tedious but if you pack the cavity with something like Crisco it might boil lcean easy after.

Pete

Go to a gun shop and look for a product called "brass black", it will finish the brass to a matte black finish and will last awhile. It's made by a company called Birchwood-Casey.

Physical Vapor Deposition or PVD would work on SS but I am not sure if anyone does boltsnaps. It is a black finish applied to things such as watch cases. The military uses this technology for some applications.

Black patina for stained glass, with salt added, is supposed to work on brass. I don't know if it would last UW or not, a little more abuse than a piece of stained glass takes...

Brass Bolt Snaps??? :shakehead

Me no likey.

---
Ken

How come Ken?

NineGill:
Has anyone come across any black bolt-snaps that are suitable for diving? What about matte finish bolt-snaps?
Dude, remember that sometimes you drop one.

Sometimes you drop it when visibility sucks. Sometimes you drop it when vis sucks and the water is dark and the bottom is dark or muddy and you're looking for the darned thing amidst all the crud in the water.

Having a little gleam that you might see if the light hits it right could be the difference between finding it and not finding it. Dunno why you might want to make them matte black and that much harder to see.

(I've lost two or three of them, and these were shiny stainless steel, but perhaps I'm clumsier than the average bear...or maybe you don't dive in black water or low vis...)

Just a thought....... YMMV.

NineGill:
Has anyone come across any black bolt-snaps that are suitable for diving? What about matte finish bolt-snaps?
Ok, I gotta ask, WHY? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom