black bolt-snaps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
How come Ken?

SS just doesn't.

That's it. I''ve had much better luck with SS. Brass has a way old school look I'm not into, and every brass snap I've had from every source eventually got sticky, greenish and overcome with a general yuck.

I like shiney things mo bettah.

---
Ken

To add to what ken said - the brass spring will in relatively short time become loose. You want stainless with SS springs.

Quarrior:
Ok, I gotta ask, WHY? :D
I don't have to have black everything for a fashion statement or anything; it's just that I don't like diving with shiny fishing lures hanging all over me.

Some of those big 'ol barracudas like to taste shiny things. :icon10:

I'd prefer to stay with stainless for the reasons stated. I was thinking that a compatible paint or coating would be nice, but changing the finish to matte would be an option too.

If there is a dark finish (Black-T maybe?) that would provide plain steel or brass with suitable corrosion resistance, I'd try that too.

brass bolt snaps + 25 dives = black bolt snaps. (And black fingers if you touch them)

Interesting. I'd like to suggest you do a search on here about people being attacked by barracudas. I don't remember seeing any posts about that happening in the 2+ years I've been on this site.

Personally, I think the shiny snap clip thing is an old wive's tale, but I cannot confirm it.

Another option would be to take some sandpaper to the surfaces resulting in a dull finish and still SS.

NineGill:
I don't have to have black everything for a fashion statement or anything; it's just that I don't like diving with shiny fishing lures hanging all over me.

Some of those big 'ol barracudas like to taste shiny things. :icon10:

I'd prefer to stay with stainless for the reasons stated. I was thinking that a compatible paint or coating would be nice, but changing the finish to matte would be an option too.

If there is a dark finish (Black-T maybe?) that would provide plain steel or brass with suitable corrosion resistance, I'd try that too.

Quarrior:
Interesting. I'd like to suggest you do a search on here about people being attacked by barracudas. I don't remember seeing any posts about that happening in the 2+ years I've been on this site.

Personally, I think the shiny snap clip thing is an old wive's tale, but I cannot confirm it.

Another option would be to take some sandpaper to the surfaces resulting in a dull finish and still SS.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/GreatBarracuda/GreatBarracuda.html

"Danger to Humans Attacks on humans by great barracuda are rare. Inquisitive, sight-oriented fish, barracudas sometimes exhibit the unnerving habit of trailing snorkelers and divers. When attacks occur more often than not it is because a barracuda attempts to steal a fish from spearfishers or mistakenly interprets a shiny object, such as a diving knife, for the glint of a shiny fish. Such incidents usually consist of one very quick strike, the result of which may be a laceration and some loss of tissue. Fatalities from barracuda attacks are rare. In 1947, a death off Key West was attributed to a barracuda, followed by another case off the coast of North Carolina in 1957. A well-documented barracuda attack occurred on a free diver off Pompano Beach, Florida in 1960. The diver was bitten twice, and the resulting injuries required 31 stitches. However, such attacks are uncommon and more often than not easily preventable with a few simple precautions."

I like diving with barracudas and I'm not afraid of them, I just don't see the point in temping fate by having shiny "fish" attached to me.

I was looking for a finished product because I'm slow to get around to fiddling with my pet-projects. I'll post something to the DIY page if I come up with anything useful.

Sandpaper would defintely be the easy way to go. From what I could find online, powder coating stainless is a little tricky.

Diver Dennis:
How come Ken?
I used to think the insistence on SS was a kool-aid thing. That was, until I started cutting my thumb.

Brass is soft and eventually gets sharp at the slide point; SS doesn't.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom