Black Faced SPG - Pros - Cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish-R-Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am looking at purchasing a Termo black faced SPG. Has anyone used them before and if so how did you like it?

I use a number of black faced gauges on the boat I work on and seem to find them easier to read. My only concern would be the possibility of reflection on bright days in clear water. Has anyone notcied this effect?

Haven't ever heard of Termo, but I'm using the HOG black faced SPG.

Best SPG I've ever used. It's easy to see in broad daylight, low light conditions, and especially way easier to differentiate your markings at night.
There's really no reflections to speak of at all, aside from the glass. The best part is, if you shine your light at the SPG, you don't get a white glare coming back at you. So you can either use it's glow feature or just shine your light in, look, and be done with it.

If they look the same (made in Italy) I'm sure they either are or at least work the same.

Termo is the OEM for many SPG's including HOG. Good product and tough as hell. I like the black face gauges for the same reasons as g1138. The white face gauges mess with my night vision on low vis and night dives. Black face guages do not. And I have no problem with glare in bright sun underwater either.

I have black faced SPGs for all my sidemount gear. I got them from Dive Gear Express but think they are the Termo ones. I think they are awesome. Look great in the dark too. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers
Rich

Termo is the OEM for many SPG's including HOG. Good product and tough as hell. I like the black face gauges for the same reasons as g1138. The white face gauges mess with my night vision on low vis and night dives. Black face guages do not. And I have no problem with glare in bright sun underwater either.

Thanks Jim... I chief the boat I'm on up here in Alaska. I know that black faced gauges are easier for me to read. It may have to do with the damn reading glasses I have to wear now. I was wondering about the glare. I see that on the gauges here depending on their position and how they are lighted. I am glad that you haven't seen that as an issue. My night vision is also messed with when I flash a light on my white faced gauge when I am diving in the dark. I am going to order one and give it a try.

As far as "sexy" I will have to ask my daughter... She is the fashion police at my house... :)

Ditto to what the others have said..I use mine for caves [back up analog]and it is easier/quicker at a glance for me to read.....

Ditto to what the others have said..I use mine for caves [back up analog]and it is easier/quicker at a glance for me to read.....

That's actually the reason that I am looking into the black gauges. I am heading to Playa the last week in June and have a couple days in the caves planned. I noticed the night vision issue with the white faced gauges when I was doing a lot of night diving in March. I brought my can light with me, which is way brighter, instead of my hand held and it took a few seconds for my eyes to adjust after flashing it off my gauge. Not a big deal, but its annoying.

The Termo brand that I am looking at is from Dive Rite.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom