Blackbeard's to move to Freeport, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vertaqua

Reaction score
In 2006 Blackbeard's is scheduled to move there base of operations to freeport on Grand Bahama Island. There reasoning is that its less expensive to operate out of the bahamas. To us as divers it has the advantage of lowering port taxes from 65 to 40 and eliminating the gulf stream crossing. It also lets the boats go to more remote dive sites that perhaps would be less or not dived at all. Though it does make the trip more expensive since you need to purchase airfare to freeport instead of miami which is more expensive. I just thought everyone might like to know this, but there's a whole lot more info on the web site: http://www.blackbeard-cruises.com/

Wow, guess I won't be going on a blackbeards next year then. My buddies and I were planning on it, since we could DRIVE down to Miami and get on the boat. Now that I have to buy airfare, it would be somewhere much different than the Bahamas. I have a feeling this stradegy might bite them in the butt more than they think. Being able to drive someplace in this day in age is a big deal. If I have to spend $300-$400 to get to the bahamas, I would spend the same amount and go to cozumel instead. I know if this is true (which it is) that is 3 less passengers they will have next year between my friends and I.

Matt

Thanks for letting us know....

It's simple why they are doing this. A couple years ago the Bahamas raised the customs fee on US boats entering their waters to minimum $300 per boat for boats their size. Since most of their trips enter Bahamian waters on the weekend, they also have to pay "overtime fees" for Customs.

So they send 3 boats a week to the Bahamas, they have to pay minimum $900 per week for customs. Even more with overtime. Figure $1,000/week. 52 weeks of that means they are spending $52,000 grand a year on customs fees.

They also "motorsail" on the way over and back. Diesel fuel isn't cheap. They won't be using as much fuel anymore.

It's a way of cutting costs. They already know what operating from the Bahamas costs as they operate the AquaCat from Nassu.

I'm sure this will also cut their costs wear and tear on the boats, insurance, etc since they aren't having to cross the gulf stream.

Also no longer a need for their boats to be US Coast Guard compliant since they won't be operating from US ports. (which means less and cheaper maintenance required).

Where the customer/diver will see a big difference is in airfare price. You can fly into MIA for under $250 (with advance reservation). It's hard to find a Saturday to Saturday or "weekend to weekend" airfare ticket to the Bahamas for under $450 to $600 bucks.

Oh well....

The advantage is though that you'll get in an extra day of diving the first day instead of spending all day on the "crossing".

I had a hard time finding a link to the info on Blackbeards website. so here it is for easy access http://www.blackbeard-cruises.com/freeport-reasons.html

mike_s:
Thanks for letting us know....

It's simple why they are doing this. A couple years ago the Bahamas raised the customs fee on US boats entering their waters to minimum $300 per boat for boats their size. Since most of their trips enter Bahamian waters on the weekend, they also have to pay "overtime fees" for Customs.

So they send 3 boats a week to the Bahamas, they have to pay minimum $900 per week for customs. Even more with overtime. Figure $1,000/week. 52 weeks of that means they are spending $52,000 grand a year on customs fees.

They also "motorsail" on the way over and back. Diesel fuel isn't cheap. They won't be using as much fuel anymore.

It's a way of cutting costs. They already know what operating from the Bahamas costs as they operate the AquaCat from Nassu.

I'm sure this will also cut their costs wear and tear on the boats, insurance, etc since they aren't having to cross the gulf stream.

Also no longer a need for their boats to be US Coast Guard compliant since they won't be operating from US ports. (which means less and cheaper maintenance required).

Where the customer/diver will see a big difference is in airfare price. You can fly into MIA for under $250 (with advance reservation). It's hard to find a Saturday to Saturday or "weekend to weekend" airfare ticket to the Bahamas for under $450 to $600 bucks.

Oh well....

The advantage is though that you'll get in an extra day of diving the first day instead of spending all day on the "crossing".

I had a hard time finding a link to the info on Blackbeards website. so here it is for easy access http://www.blackbeard-cruises.com/freeport-reasons.html

My wife and I were planning on taking the Blackbeard cruise as well next year with about 20 other local divers, but now since they are changing the port location we are all rethinking this idea. With the cost of flights out of Miami, it is just as cheap and easy to fly to better locations with better diving (Bonaire, or Cozumel). You have to consider the drive, flight, trip and port fees. Plus do you really want to go on a boat that is going to lower the standards of there boat, just to save a buck or two. You might not be in US Waters/ ports does not mean you can lower the quality of safety. This does not make me want to book the next trip with them, I will have to reconsider this trip.

willardj:
My wife and I were planning on taking the Blackbeard cruise as well next year with about 20 other local divers, but now since they are changing the port location we are all rethinking this idea. With the cost of flights out of Miami, it is just as cheap and easy to fly to better locations with better diving (Bonaire, or Cozumel). You have to consider the drive, flight, trip and port fees. Plus do you really want to go on a boat that is going to lower the standards of there boat, just to save a buck or two. You might not be in US Waters/ ports does not mean you can lower the quality of safety. This does not make me want to book the next trip with them, I will have to reconsider this trip.

I think that even with the incresed airfare it's still on of the best deals for a liveaboard. Lets say its an extra 350 from miami to freeport(via bahamas air) thats about 600 total for airfare from most parts of the country, then 879 for the week and a 40 dollar port charge. Thats still around 1500 + or - a hundred or so dollars for a complete dive trip.

Now I don't think they changed ports to save money on maintnence because it probably costs more to find the parts you need in grand bahama then in miami. I think the reasoning is that that they'll save money on gov fees and diesel fuel and in the process save the divers from crossing the gulfstream and getting seasick in the process.

The puke, the tossing, and general feeling of being near death! What will future Blackbeard customers talk about? It was always the crossing!

Corigan:
Wow, guess I won't be going on a blackbeards next year then. My buddies and I were planning on it, since we could DRIVE down to Miami and get on the boat. Now that I have to buy airfare, it would be somewhere much different than the Bahamas. I have a feeling this stradegy might bite them in the butt more than they think. Being able to drive someplace in this day in age is a big deal. If I have to spend $300-$400 to get to the bahamas, I would spend the same amount and go to cozumel instead. I know if this is true (which it is) that is 3 less passengers they will have next year between my friends and I.

Matt

Blackbeard's also has a couple of charters based out of Nassua. I did the Cat Ppalu last Feb. The flight on JetBlue was only $250 from Burlington Vt, and the week on the Cat Ppalu ran about $1300. It was an awesome week of diving, they took great care of us and I plan on doing it again next year.
Chris

metaldector:
The puke, the tossing, and general feeling of being near death! What will future Blackbeard customers talk about? It was always the crossing!

The incredible diving I would hope, it certainly won't be the luxurious accomodations. Speaking of which how are the cabins on the cat ppalu, from the looks of there website they look a lot nicer than blackbeard's. Then again you get what you pay for!

"Also no longer a need for their boats to be US Coast Guard compliant since they won't be operating from US ports. (which means less and cheaper maintenance required)."

That's not especially re-assuring.

tedwhiteva:
"Also no longer a need for their boats to be US Coast Guard compliant since they won't be operating from US ports. (which means less and cheaper maintenance required)."

That's not especially re-assuring.
That was someone just speculating on the possible advantages for them and how that would be an option, doesn't mean they would necessarily do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom