Blackbeard's to move to Freeport, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tedwhiteva:
"Also no longer a need for their boats to be US Coast Guard compliant since they won't be operating from US ports. (which means less and cheaper maintenance required)."

That's not especially re-assuring.

Just because they could skimp on safety and maintnence doesn't mean they will. Blackbeard's seems to have a very good reputation just from the posts on this site and I doubt they would want to tarnish that reputation just to save a few bucks. Also seeing as how everything is automatically more expensive in the islands due to the fact that they have to import just about everything I doubt it will be cheaper to maintain.

vertaqua:
The incredible diving I would hope, it certainly won't be the luxurious accomodations. Speaking of which how are the cabins on the cat ppalu, from the looks of there website they look a lot nicer than blackbeard's. Then again you get what you pay for!

While the rooms aren't luxurious, there was plenty of room. The bunks had room underneath them for your luggage, and the room I was in had 2 singles. I'm 6'3 and I slept well. As for the rest of the boat, 2 showers for 12 people, 2 "heads", a large dining/ meeting room, and the berths. The best part was the crew. Scott, Christine, John and Greg took good care of us. The food was amazing, and they really catered to us. As I said in my last post, I had a wonderful time and am already working on booking a trip for next spring ( 2007).
Chris

Dang, this'll negatively influence our local club's annual trip. We've done Blackbeard's a couple times, specifically 'cuz some of us got to do a ROAD TRIP down to Miami. Oh the humanity...

archman:
Dang, this'll negatively influence our local club's annual trip. We've done Blackbeard's a couple times, specifically 'cuz some of us got to do a ROAD TRIP down to Miami. Oh the humanity...

Well now you get to take a roadtrip down to miami and then another air trip over to Freeport. LOL

archman:

Check out http://www.oceanexplorercharters.com. There operations is out of Pompano Beach,FL. They are a smaller operation than Blackbeard but the trip is tailored to the group. And you still get the thrill of the crossing;-)

Justme7628:
Check out http://www.oceanexplorercharters.com. There operations is out of Pompano Beach,FL. They are a smaller operation than Blackbeard but the trip is tailored to the group. And you still get the thrill of the crossing;-)

I think part of the intrigue of BB's is that you actually sail(as long as the wind cooperates).

Flight cost from the midwest to FPO is very little more than to MIA. If it helps keep BB rates down and I get extra dives, I'm all for the move.

Also no longer a need for their boats to be US Coast Guard compliant since they won't be operating from US ports. (which means less and cheaper maintenance required).

I don't see how this is a good thing.

As far as moving to the Bahamas it will change my plans in the future. I can catch another liveaboard from Florida for about the same price as flying to the Bahamas + the Blackbeard price. It wont be camping at sea either.

FREEPORT WEEKLONG TRIPS: $879.00 Port tax 40.00 per person.
Boards in Freeport, Grand Bahamas each Saturday at noon and disembarks the following Friday at 9 am.

and the prices aren't dropping :11:

Is BlackBeards using all their boats right now?

I'd heard they were only sailing 1 or 2 of their 3 boats per week due to lower
bookings and had been doring this for some time.

anyone know?

Cobra852:
Also no longer a need for their boats to be US Coast Guard compliant since they won't be operating from US ports. (which means less and cheaper maintenance required).

I don't see how this is a good thing.

As far as moving to the Bahamas it will change my plans in the future. I can catch another liveaboard from Florida for about the same price as flying to the Bahamas + the Blackbeard price. It wont be camping at sea either.

FREEPORT WEEKLONG TRIPS: $879.00 Port tax 40.00 per person.
Boards in Freeport, Grand Bahamas each Saturday at noon and disembarks the following Friday at 9 am.

and the prices aren't dropping
I checked into this, and you're right the move didn't lower prices. What it did do is keep prices from rising. Here's what Blackbeard's site gives for reasons for the move:

Blackbeard's Cruises will begin full time operation from Freeport, Grand Bahamas effective all trips departing Dec 28, 2005 and thereafter. It's a new year and a new beginning for the pirate and our diving buddies!

Here are just a few reasons why we've made this decision:

• The expense of doing business from Miami has forced us to either drive up prices to cover costs or relocate in order to continue to offer great diving and great prices! Port taxes on all trips departing from Freeport will only be 40.00 per person. (The port taxes in Miami for 2006 were slated to be 65.00!)

• Travel from Miami in the winter can be a bit rough across the Gulf Stream from west to east and back at week's end. Flying into Freeport eliminates the 6-8 hours of crossing and gets divers in the water on Saturday instead of Sunday.

• Freeport is a great port! We will still offer a night in Bimini midweek. The last night will be spent in Freeport at week's end. Passengers are free to explore the island in Freeport. When in Miami, they were stuck on board waiting until customs came to clear them into the country on Friday morning!

I've used Blackberard before, and am booking another trip with them for next winter. They wouldn't have been in business this long, with many repeat customers if they didn't take good care of us and provide quality service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom