Blackbeard's to move to Freeport, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cobra852:
Also no longer a need for their boats to be US Coast Guard compliant since they won't be operating from US ports. (which means less and cheaper maintenance required).

I don't see how this is a good thing.
:11:

I emailed the people from BB's and asked them about the USCG issue and Beth from BlackBeard's gave me this response:
Thanks for your interest in our diving and sailing vacations! We are very excited about the move to Freeport! We will still be required to meet the same regulations as we are now with the Coast Guard since those are international. The regulations we will no longer have to deal with will be agriculture, homeland security and customs and immigration rules.

I'd like to email the Coasties with the same question, but I'm not sure how to pose it. If any body could think of a general way to ask this post it, or go on the uscg website (www.uscg.mil) and ask for yourself. I think that an answer from them would pretty much put the issue to rest.

vertaqua:
I emailed the people from BB's and asked them about the USCG issue and Beth from BlackBeard's gave me this response:
Thanks for your interest in our diving and sailing vacations! We are very excited about the move to Freeport! We will still be required to meet the same regulations as we are now with the Coast Guard since those are international. The regulations we will no longer have to deal with will be agriculture, homeland security and customs and immigration rules.

I'd like to email the Coasties with the same question, but I'm not sure how to pose it. If any body could think of a general way to ask this post it, or go on the uscg website (www.uscg.mil) and ask for yourself. I think that an answer from them would pretty much put the issue to rest.
I emailed the CG "our" concerns. I'll post the response if and when I get one,
Chris

vertaqua:
Thanks for your interest in our diving and sailing vacations! We are very excited about the move to Freeport! We will still be required to meet the same regulations as we are now with the Coast Guard since those are international.

That's not true.

They are only international requirements if they operate an international
vessel that operates(docks) in an US port. They aren't going to do
liveaboards to "florida coast", so this won't apply to them.
Other "international" rules soch as SOLAS and MCA are voluntary or
required by insurance companies or offshore cruising, which Blackbeards
does not do. But none of those are "required" by international law.
Just like USCG rules are not international to boats of other flags.

With them moving their boats to Freeport, for tax, insurance, etc reasons,
they will most likely register the boats under Bahamian flag.
Nothing wrong with this, it makes sense for any company. This is
what the "Cruise Boat" lines do. They are typically registered in the Bahamas,
Belize, Panama, or Lybia (sp?). The exception is any cruise line that
operates only in US waters is required though to be a US flag ship.
BTW... there are very few of them. (American Cruise Lines for example).

So... while I don't think that Blackbeards is going to make their boats
unsafe, if they re-flag their vessels to another country, then they won't
have to meet USCG requirements.

del_mo:
It does looks good, but at about $400 more than Blackbeard's sloops for diving the same area, I'll go back to Blackbeard's.
But....I would consider using them to dive dive Turks & Caicos :D
Chris

Vtdiver2:
It looks good, but at about $600 more than Blackbeard's sloops, I'll go back to Blackbeard's.
Chris

Well, that's one of the things about Black Beards.... they realize there
is a market for cruises/trips in their price range.

They save by sailing, etc.... which allows them to market the trip
cheaper than the average liveaboard. (which is a good thing
for the market-targeted consumer)

mike_s:
Well, that's one of the things about Black Beards.... they realize there
is a market for cruises/trips in their price range.

They save by sailing, etc.... which allows them to market the trip
cheaper than the average liveaboard. (which is a good thing
for the market-targeted consumer)
Right, but I was comparing apples to apples...the link that DEL_MO listed was also for a sailing live aboard, yet the price was more expensive than the Blackbeard cruise.
Blackbeard has cruises in all price ranges. Their sloops are about $900 a week, the Cat Ppalu was about $1200/wk when I did it in February and the Aqua Cat runs even more, but the accomodations are more luxurious.
Personally, when I travel to go diving, all I want is clean sheets, hot showers ( with a shower head that is high enough not to spray me in the stomach), decent food and a place to get a drink after the diving is done. I could care less about "luxury", I'm there to dive. :D

I actually don't think the Aqua Cat trips look too bad...

I'd be really interested in doing on of their week long trips
if it wasn't for the fact that the wife doesn't dive.
I think she enjoy relaxing on the boat and reading until
about the 3rd day. Then she'd get bored.\\

(BTW... Aqua Cat has Nitrox. For $100 or $150 or something per week)

mike_s:
I actually don't think the Aqua Cat trips look too bad...

I'd be really interested in doing on of their week long trips
if it wasn't for the fact that the wife doesn't dive.
I think she enjoy relaxing on the boat and reading until
about the 3rd day. Then she'd get bored.\\

(BTW... Aqua Cat has Nitrox. For $100 or $150 or something per week)

There still a bit pricey at 1795 + airfare and all the taxes and such. It's also not a sailing liveaboard. Cuan Law seems to be the only sailboat liveaboard that offers nitrox, anybody know of any others

Back
Top Bottom