Blindly trust computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty sure you meant "mitigate" the risks, but the way that you typed it is much funnier and probably more accurate!

:)
Laf. Yes, you're correct... I was sitting at a light long enough to catch up and post that reply but not long enough to proof read. :D

Do you really want to open that box ...... Florida, right ....
Just to be clear. In this case, I'm specifically talking about "Consumers Legal Remedies ActCivil Code §1750 et seq." that the frivolous (in my opinion) suit took advantage of to take millions from a company. Go read the first page of this thread for details. There are a plethora of bizarre laws that afflict your state and this is only one example. Another would be whatever law requires pretty much every product ever made to say something about "this product is known in the state of California to cause cancer." but that is not part of the discussion. I brought it up, because the lawsuit which the article the OP linked is based upon that law. The lawsuit would have been laughed out of court anywhere else on the planet.

California is a beautiful place (well.. parts of it are.. it's got it's nasty places like every state). The people I've met from California are generally as good as the people from anywhere else. Your laws are.. something to be embarrassed about.

They decided to sue in California, claiming that both Aqua Lung and Suunto knew of serious defects in the computers but failed to issue any recalls and continued to sell the products.

I read it on the Internet that the settlement is "if you're in the US and your computer hasn't failed yet, you can send it in for a free chamber ride". I.e. they still knowingly fail to issue any product recalls for this, and are continuing to sell their defective products.

Hopefully for their e-learning they'll hire Jeff Foxworthy to do "if your diving computer shows depth of 100 metres while you're sitting on the boat during your surface interval, you may have a depth sensor problem."

Back
Top Bottom