Block Island Wrecks... 9/7/02

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good Morning, Everyone.

This note just confirms that we are still on for tomorrow. Divers are:

Raxafarian
Spectre
King Kong Matt
Northeastwrecks.

In addition, we may have one bubble watcher.

I'll speak with Jim this afternoon/evening. I'll post if there is a problem; otherwise, let's go diving.

Each of you should have my cellular number via PM. Don't hesitate to use it if a problem comes up.

Regards,

Northeastwrecks

latest weather guess looks good:
Tonight
SW wind around 10 kts. Seas 1 to 3 ft.
Sat And Sat Night
SW wind around 10 kts. Seas 1 to 3 ft.

I don't know if we told Matt.... be there by 7:30am. I'm planning on 7:00-7:15.

Got a little extra gas in my lp's... around 107 cu.ft.:D

Matt... remind me if you don't have a safety sausage... I have an extra.

ps. The road to the marina is very easy to miss.... it's just a dirt/gravel road alongside of a house that goes to the dock. Call me if you can't find it... or I could meet you at the main road...

Not part of your group....but my parents live down the street from the Quony yacht club, so I'm very familiar with that area......

As you proceed down West Beach Rd. from US 1, you will pass a house on the left with a huge garden. Shortly thereafter, the road will curve to the right.

After passing this curve, the road straightens out. The entrance to the "yacht club" will be within a couple hundred yards on the right. I believe you start to see the the water of Quonochontaug Pond on your right just when you need to turn.

There is a sign for the "yacht club", but it is set back from the road and there is lots of brush on either side of the driveway, so the sign is hard to see.

Have fun!

large_diver once bubbled...
There is a sign for the "yacht club", but it is set back from the road and there is lots of brush on either side of the driveway, so the sign is hard to see.

It's on the right as you come down, and look for the bull-dozed area to the left of the building. It's pretty easy to miss, but pay attention to the '3 tenths of a mile', that will help. If you pass it, it's definately easier to see on the return trip.

The 'driveway' is to the left of the house, in-between the house and the bull-dozed area. It's a straight visual shot down the driveway, through the backyard, and onto the small jetty.

It's a slow road anyway, so just take it really slow and keep your eyes to the right [or better yet, Olga's eyes as you need to be driving!].

And of course, call if you have any trouble. I usually shoot to get there around 7:30 [thus leaving at 5:00] but that early in the morning I end up speeding quite a bit and end up there about 6:45 or so :). But.... like gas planning, you plan for the worst rate :)

Now that I've jumped in here.....can you guys tell me more about this charter operator? Sounds like you've used him before. I've done some shore diving down there, but never boat diving.

Thanks.

-Chris

The Captain's name is Jim Beardsley. His boat is the Tresta. She is a 26' Osprey.

Jim operates out of the Yacht Club you described (can't remember the name). He is available for charters seven days a week.

Jim is a PADI Instructor and licensed 6-pack charter captain.

I have been very impressed with Jim's operation. His boat is clean and well-organized. Jim knows the area well and can accommodate most divers. We've used him for everything from training dives to the Lightburne and Essex through tek trips out to the U-853.

The boat is on the smaller side, but it is perfect for small groups. For larger groups, we have hooked up with another boat, the Bite Me II out of Snug Harbor. We arrange for both boats to meet at the dive site and tie off together.

You can get more information at www.ninigretdivers.com. You can also PM me if you have more questions.

If your interested, you are welcome to join us on a future dive. I'm hoping to get some more charters later this month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom