Blue Angel location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaExplorer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I are about to book our first dive trip and have a question.

We REALLY love everything we have read about Blue Angel Resort and Blue Angel diving.

I know the good, the bad (VERY little, basically car noise from the road) but what I cannot find is how close (or not close) are they to downtown for dinners, and just wandering and such for when we are not diving.

Thanks!

My wife and I are about to book our first dive trip and have a question.

We REALLY love everything we have read about Blue Angel Resort and Blue Angel diving.

I know the good, the bad (VERY little, basically car noise from the road) but what I cannot find is how close (or not close) are they to downtown for dinners, and just wandering and such for when we are not diving.

Thanks!

It's about a mile - mile and a half south of town. It's a little bit of a hike or a cheap cab ride.

A mile or so is not bad for a nice afternoon walk.

For dinner we would probably cab it.

Thanks!

BTW....one item I see as really the ONLY negative to Blue Angel is the car noise.

Is it REALLY that bad???? I guess I can sleep with ear plugs, but really, is it THAT bad?

BTW....one item I see as really the ONLY negative to Blue Angel is the car noise.

Is it REALLY that bad???? I guess I can sleep with ear plugs, but really, is it THAT bad?
YMMV, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't use earplugs, either.

I'm a long-distance hiker, and I'm pretty good at estimating distances when walking. I'd say it is about 1.5 miles from the vicinity of The Square (downtown) to Blue Angel. The sidewalk is pretty nice the entire distance, and it is a pleasant walk by the ocean. When I was there in February 2009, I paid $5 for a cab when transporting dive gear from Blue Angel to downtown (on all other days, I walked).

For me, the street noise at Blue Angel can be a small problem if the air-conditioner is completely off; with a little "white noise" from the a/c unit (even if it's "Fan Only") I sleep very well .

Last edited:
We have stayed there several times and as long as the AC was on, the traffic noise was not an issue at all.

Ah, just answered your PM, but I'll post my reply here too...

I don't remember noise at all from this last trip and I was on first floor. I hated the construction sounds when I was trying to nap back when they were building next door, but that's been over a long time. If there is noise, I guess I got used to ignoring it; take ear plugs just in case.

Tell Jeanie you want a private DM the first day; money well spent, and 100 cf tanks for yourself are $5 extra/dive if you blow thru tanks like most newbies - another good idea.

I posted on a very recent Blue Angel thread here about my experiences with taxies and I'm not into walking. Standard fare to town is 700 Peso or $5 each way and being solo - that would run up the price of dinner an extra $10, but I enjoyed the $12 dinners at the hotel very much, and you dress as casually as you feel like - other than Sunday evening when they do not serve dinner.

With two of you going to dinner together, that's only an extra $5 each RT. And you can haggle a little if you want to make sport of saving a buck. Don't ask how much; ask if he will take both of you to Sonora Grill or Parrilla Mission on 30th Ave for $4 for example. No need to tip for a simple trip; they get a tip from the cafe anyway even tho you requested one by name. If you want to walk, try walking back until you get bored with it, then offer one $3 from Mega or $2 from a closer point.

have a great trip!

It is a bit further south than Hotel Cozumel where we currently are. We walk into town every day for lunch and dinner but I will tell you this....if you are going to be there in the summer or anytime from say april to september....that lunch time walk is HOT. Not much shade to hide in for quite a bit of that walk. I don't mind it, but Tonia found it a bit much on a few days...ended up hailing taxi's on their way by. Not at all hard to get a cab though if you decide it's a bit warm that day. A jungle hat or equivalent would make it much easier I think.

My wife and I did the walk quite a few times: it's about 15 minutes to the edge of town (supermarket) and about 30 minutes to the center of town. As far as the noise is concerned, if you don't use the AC it gets noticeable after 4am when the traffic starts picking up. The main reason is because there are speed bumps right in front of the hotel. Having said that, it wasn't bad enough to make me want to turn on the AC, as I prefer to hear the sea through the window.

Back
Top Bottom