Blue Angel or ScubaClub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sefuchs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have a trip with several families in Oct. For the bulk of our trip we have accommodations already set but a couple of our friends want to stay at a “resort” after we leave. They are asking my opinion of BA & ScubaClub which I have never stayed at either. I lean towards BA but seems like lots of longtime BA fans are bailing on them so a little concerned on why. Looking for some opinions from folks who have stayed at both resorts. Also they will not be using the hotel dive ops. Thx

If not using the hotel dive op then that excludes Scuba Club - Scuba Club is an all-inclusive with diving. They do not allow outside ops to pick up there and they do not sell lodging only packages. Think od Scuba Club like a land based liveaboard.

More information would be helpful, do you have any idea what your friends expect at the resort (all inclusive, spa, gym, multiple restaurants, night club, etc)?

@Christi - thx for the info, didn't realize ScubaClub was an all or nothing deal.

I guess I was pretty vague on expectations. Looking for a good 'value', doesn't have to be cheap but don't want to pay exuberant prices just b/c it is a dive resort. Don't care about high end fancy, no spa, no gym but does need to be clean with a decent bed (I know mexican beds are generally hard). They are the kind that like to lounge around, have a few (too many) drinks and do nothing after diving. Good food and a bar are important, they originally wanted an AI b/c of past experience over in the Riviera Maya area. I believe after a few nights dining out they will be thanking me that I talked them out of the AI thing. Since it is in Oct I might just have them wait on booking those extra nights until after they get a feel of Coz then let choose one of the many options while they are on the island. It is the slow season so 'guessing' availabilty won't be a problem then.

Look at hotel coz or park royal. Ai is worth it if u drink alot. Close enough and cheap enough to go town for dinner. Ive stayed at hotel cozumel. You can get 2 people ai for well under $150 a night.

I agree with OKC that Park Royal is a good option that's AI, have stayed there and the beds are good. I've heard Hotel Coz has hard beds but don't have personal experience.

Casa Mexicana is in town, has nice clean rooms with soft beds, and breakfast included, drawback is small splash pool. Easy walking distance to many restaurants/bars, and shopping but only northern dive Ops pick up in town (Blue XT Sea).

Casa Del Mar is next to Park Royal, AI is an option, nice rooms with soft beds, big pool, good restaurant/bar, and pier. There are a few restaurants and bars in walking distance, my go to OP Dive with Martin will pick up at that pier.

I've heard Hotel Coz has hard beds but don't have personal experience.
It did the two times I stayed there, but hotels replace mattresses too frequently to say unless one has stayed there recently. The same for those reportedly with soft beds.

my go to OP Dive with Martin will pick up at that pier.
Many dive ups work out of the northern marina and pick up at docks all along the way. My fav Salty Endeavors picks me up at Safari pier, but will stop almost anywhere.

I have stayed at BA which has conventional beds but I wouldn't consider it a resort. I am a regular at Hotel Cozumel & like the beds but they are matresses over a concrete structure. This is my hotel tour album to help see what it's like there & their pier allows competitors to pick up & drop off there. https://flic.kr/s/aHskS8V7Ew

i'll throw in another vote for hotel cozumel. been there a couple of times. was just there in nov. we really enjoy it. you can either do the all inclusive or just a room with breakfast. we chose the AI as the extra cost for us was so small that it was well worth it. it was like 20 or 25 bucks each extra per day. and still was cheap enough that we were able to go into town for some other meals. rooms are nice. not 5 star but everything you need. they were clean and comfy. lots of clean water avail around the resort. great pool area. food was good. service was very good. good location close to town.
they have dive paradise on site but you said you will be using a different dive op. many different shops pick up at the pier on site. there will be a fee for this though.

never stayed at blue angel. heard many good things here on the boards about them but maybe things have changed recently ?

scuba club is right next to hotel coz. pretty basic. not as nice as hotel coz imho. and as christy said, it is AI or nothing. not sure about the diving from there. i would take christy's word on that. she would know.

the park royal was mentioned. i have stayed there. beautiful resort. great rooms (although it can be noisy). food was very good. but the rates seem to be a lot higher now then when i stayed. and i found it too far from town. of course you can always grab a cab but...... good dive op right across the street. marine world.

casa del mar is right beside park royal. stayed there once. i did the AI there out of necessity. rooms were fine.

i know a couple of people who stay at tankha which is in the same location as the park and casa del mar. if you are looking at something different you can check them out. the guys i know stay there for up to a month at a time. pretty basic from what i saw.

We've stayed at Hotel Cozumel; didn't like the food, rooms were small, and there's no place to hang wet gear. They do have a large pool and activities

Scuba Club Cozumel is our go-to resort and we have stayed there many, many times; good food, clean rooms with hard beds, free shore diving, friendly and loyal staff.Your friends might not be happy at SCC as alcohol is NOT included and there are NO TVs in the rooms. SCC is a "dive" resort, not a resort with diving.

Back
Top Bottom