Blue Angel Resort (Cozumel) vs. CoCoView (Roatan)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have spent 4 weeks at Coco View. I have been to Cozumel once. The time I was at Cozumel, I was at a high end resort for Coz.

Coco View has decent food but it is buffet style. The food is wholesome and nutritious. I don't think anyone would call it high end by any means. The rooms are decent but again not high end. The staff is quite good. That being said, it is far easier to get a higher end experience at Coz. CoCo View is often called summer camp for divers and that description is apt.

As for the dive experience, the dive operation is run by Patty and she is very good. Patty gives some very good seminars. The boats are not great but they are well suited to be dive boats. They take you out for a boat dive every morning and afternoon. Most sites have walls that start at 30' and go down to 100' or so. There is generally no current and the visibility is very good. The dive masters tend to be very good. There seems to be heavy fishing pressure so you will not see many grouper or snapper. I also did not see many turtles or sharks. I saw plenty of morays, parrotfish, Angels, creole wrasse, hamlets, butterfly fish and a few toadfish. The dive masters usually find a seahorse or two on every dive. You do a surface interval. Then you go back. You get dropped off at CoCo View Wall or Neumans Wall. You do a shore exit and it is easy. So, it is very easy to get 4 dives per day at CoCo View. If you want, you can go out and do a neatly morning shore dive or a late afternoon and or night dive. You can pile up 6 dives per day assuming you have the stamina. The macro life is very good. Also, on many sites, there is very good coral.

It it is a different experience than Cozumel which tends to have 2 deep drift dives per day. At Cozumel, you will see more large fish and turtles. It is a very different experience. I would tend to favor CoCo View over Cozemel, but I can easily understand how someone else would greatly prefer Coz over CoCo View.

Have no idea---but we're heading to Rangi May 10 thru May 19th costing around 6k US(air/room/food/diving).....We're staying in beachfront rooms----BUT----daughter & SIL(the 4 of us are traveling together) opted for the overwater bungalow for an additional 2k------so-----guess who's gunna be down to 'their room' A LOT.....:).....

EDIT:.wife & I's total cost to Brac end of Oct '14 was 4k US, stayed a Brac Reef Beach Resort.............

I have numerous videos on youtube under KevinG58. Shot at CCV and RHR (a little to the east) on Roatan. I'm a definite Roatan fan. The CCV boats are all shaded except for the aft-most 2-3 stations. Water, radio comms, and emergency O2 on board. Most of the boats feature a "moonpool" boarding ladder which comes in handy when the trades pick up and the boats are pitching, you can come aboard amidships. Oh and most sites are a 20 minute or less ride from CCV.

I've been to Coz once, it was good. The current is easily manageable... But must be managed. If you are a photographer and miss a shot, going back "upstream" is going to burn some air :wink:
I was relatively uninformed (it was a very last minute trip) and pretty much got "potluck" on dive ops and resort for that matter. Was not unhappy with either, the resort was nice, the dive op used a small boat and a big boat. The rides down island on the small boat were not the most comfy, but I'm not too picky either so it was OK. Of course the big boat brought the dreaded "cattle call". Not too bad, while about 25 splashed withing 10 minutes, the current (and DMs) dispersed the various groups :cool2:

There was more to do ashore in Coz than Roatan (CCV & RHR are both somewhat isolated), but that is not really a factor for me as I travel to dive, not hang out in town.

I'll probably go back to Coz but for now Roatan is the destination of choice for me. And btw for me, looking at the Coz forum was not all that helpful. Form what I have seen most criticism is heartily thrashed there, so the forum is rather biased imho.

I have been to Coco View three times and Cozumel twice.
Cozumel will always be less expensive (unless you stay really high end).
The only reason I have not been to Roatan more it the Crazy cost of airfare to get there.

The diving is different (not good/bad different just different) and I agree that you should do both.

If this trip is to dive dive dive - go to CocCo View.
If its to do a few dives and chill go to Cozumel.

We've been to both resorts twice. If you want a "DIVE" vacation there's no comparison. The shore diving at CCV is so accessible and superior to Blue Angel that you can make up the extra you pay there alone. The dive operation at CCV is far superior to Blue Angel as are the facilities. Blue Angel is better if you want a pool, beaches, nightlife and great restaurants to go try. I guess I would give Blue Angel a nod in number of large fish, the marine park in Cozumel is better developed and regulated than it is on Roatan. I've seen a few Black Tip reef sharks in Coz where it's a lot of macro in Roatan. We haven't stayed in the ocean front rooms at CCV, but the over the water rooms are far superior to the rooms at Blue Angel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom