Trip Report Blue Angel Resort trip report Feb. 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much for the trip report. There's still 6-8 inches of snow on some of our neighbors lawns so reading these reports is necessary for one's sanity. We've been once to BA and hope to return. Sounds like you have a good trip and that's what counts! Also, glad you made it safe and sound.

Rob
I feel that. We got two inches the morning I left.

very good review. thx for that !!

The easiest way to spot tourists, usually fellow Americans, from a distance is that they’re the only ones not wearing masks in public.

many canadians response to this would be....."typical americans". unfortunately whether justified or not, many people outside of the u.s. would not be surprised at all by this comment.

This was because I was hungover and sucked my air down.

you are a brave man posting a statement like this on scubaboard. i am surprised no one has jumped on this yet.

I met several guests who have been coming back to Blue Angel for years, even decades for some, and it’s clear why. Blue Angel is a special place. The location alone is incredible, but the friendliness, helpfulness, professionalism, knowledge, and experience of all the staff members put Blue Angel over the top. I know I’ll be back, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Except for 2020 (PTOOEY!) I have spent a couple of weeks at Blue Angel every year since 1987. I'm glad you had a good time at "my" hotel. :D

But did you meet Bagheera?

we discovered BA probably a little over a decade ago, and I couldn’t imagine staying anywhere else

But did you meet Bagheera?

we discovered BA probably a little over a decade ago, and I couldn’t imagine staying anywhere else
Somewhere I have video footage of a couple of grackles harassing Bagheera. They jeered at her from the tops of palm trees and divebombed her screaming at her, and she leapt into the air after them, landing awkwardly. It's pretty funny. It went on every morning around 7AM.

Likewise, I can't imagine Cozumel without Blue Angel.

I always dive with a buddy, but however you are diving, if you get low on air the DM will want you to go up with someone rather than alone. I have seen this arranged at depth, i.e., DM points at one diver, points at another, lays his two index fingers side by side, and points toward his SMB on the surface.

Well that would kinda suck to be the other one he pointed to if you're not low on air.

Well that would kinda suck to be the other one he pointed to if you're not low on air.

Yeah, this issue comes up from time to time comparing Cozumel dive op.s, and each point of view has its adherents.

On the one hand, we have the 'group ascends together' approach I've read attributed to Aldora in the past, claimed to be the safest way to do things, but cutting some people's dive time a bit since the group has to go up when the highest gas consumer (i.e.: worst 'air hog') gets low...though they mitigate this somewhat by how they group divers on their multiple boats (e.g.: the seasoned people with good consumption rates aren't on the boat with a big guy fresh out of OW training who sucks air fast) and with 120-cf steel tanks offering good dive times. Wonder if this is still their practice?

On the other hand, when I dove with Tres Pelicanos, going up individually if one wished was okay. More freedom...though I imagine more hassle for the boat captain doing a pickup while keeping an eye on the rest of the group. And some people are concerned it's less safe (even if so whether this is enough added risk to matter is anybody's guess). But you might nab another 5+ minutes dive time continuing your dive.

Sounds like Blue Angel's approach is somewhere in between. I'm glad to see it described here, as for some people it's an issue in choosing a Cozumel dive op. (which says a lot about Coz.; it's got enough strongly reputable op.s that divers can get picky).

Most people dive with a buddy, so in that case there's no discussion necessary, and yes, if your buddy gets down to 500psi while you still have 2000psi, that sucks for you. In other cases, the DM may survey the group to find someone else who is getting close to low and send them up with you if you are LOA. I guess if someone is adamant about going up alone, no one will stop them; it's a request and doesn't carry the force of law. And of course if someone has an equipment emergency and heads for the surface alone, that's OK. It's not draconian; the DM just requests that no one ascend alone for safety reasons. I think it's a good policy.

Back
Top Bottom