Blue Angel vs. Scuba Club Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mateo used to be from the Chicago area, he was an elctrician there. He usually goes home to the USa once a year. I haven't been down there for a while, but he likes it when I am there because we get to go Cave Diving on his day off : )

Hey A2K. I can answer to the rental gear at the BA.
Last year I had to rent a BCD & Reg for 10 days.
The BCD's were okay, everything worked, but not new, however better than most rental stuff here in California, except for sports chalet, their stuff was new, (although pricey). I also rented a reg for 10 days. Pretty basic stuff, Sherwood Brut's as I recall and a brand I'd not heard of called Conquistador. They both breathed okay even at depth, maybe a bit wet. I did have one problem with the SPG leaking around the swivel. Took it back to the dive shop and it turned out to be an O-ring, which they replaced, even showed me how to do it. One thing I insisted on was this; since I needed the gear for 10 days, I wanted the same gear everyday. (You get used to the setup that way). Anyway, it was not a problem, they let me keep the same gear and I just used their hangers and left it in the lockers overnight. It worked out well since I would like to shore dive or twilight dive on a moments notice. Plus the price is good on their rentals. Crap, here in California it can run anywhere from $40-49 to rent gear, so $5 a piece is great.

Hoping to go on my yearly trip to Cozumel in September/October. Tough to plan this year because I'm trying to sell my house and move to another city this fall too. Also flights to Cozumel this year are pretty high. I want to fly right into Cozumel, so I'm looking at $630 from Philly or $450 out of Newark (probably worth the effort/hassle to go to Newark).

I'll probably go back to SCC this time.

How close are you to Balt and BWI? Orbitz show that less than 400 last I checked.

Stayed at BA May 2010, and spoke with other guests who stayed at both places. They said the DM's at BA were more dedicated. We thought the DM's were just fantastic and we will return to the BA for all the positives including great food, fewer guests, never more then 6 other people on the boat, ocean view rooms, also an incredible staff. The owners hung out with us quite a bit - really enjoyed them.

I doubt, however, you would be disappointed with SCC. We stopped in to look around and it was a great atmosphere. I haven't heard anything bad about it, except more people on the boats then BA.

Also, we walked back and forth to/from town and it wasn't bad at all. Maybe 20 minutes each way and we did it several times.

Enjoy! Cozumel diving is superb!

Great Synopis Alohagal!

Wife and I have been to each one time. SCC in Jan 2009 and BA in Jan 2010. I liked most things about the SCC resort a little better than BA, but I like most things about diving a little better at BA especially the shore dive at BA. The cage next door does attract more critters and makes for a pretty cool night dive. Also, the boat ride is somewhat shorter though that didn't matter much to us. Not sure if this is Island-wide now, but at BA you could not flush the toilet paper (can be a little strange depending who your roomy is). The hammock situation was much better at SCC - that was always my afternnon relaxing spot. Only a couple hammocks at BA. Don't expect a lot of partying at either place. It's dive and relax!

Either way you'll love it. Both places were awesome overall. We're probably booking again this coming January and will likely stay at which ever one has a cheaper rate - it's really that close of a call for us.

Although I have only stayed at the BA, my friends here in CA have stayed at the SCC. They both are nice and I think it will come down to personal perference.

. Not sure if this is Island-wide now, but at BA you could not flush the toilet paper (can be a little strange depending who your roomy is).
That is seen here and there, but not as common as I had thot. We had a thread on the subject recently. I mentioned to the new owners that they'd get more cooperation if they'd put lids on the bathroom cans; she said to go ahead and flush. :confused: So flush, and if you line stops up, call for help.

I get a pound of baking soda and sprinkle often, but don't look in baking goods at Mega; it's in the toiletries. :idk:

Last edited:
I had not responded (again) to this thread as it was a year old. However, just to add a few points: someone asked about rental gear and noted BA was using a brand called Conquistador which they had never heard of. Larry (whose last name I don't know) used to be the Mares rep on the island. He has gone into partnership with Scuba Repair (a REALLY good repair shop) to sell new gear. He is selling produce of well-known brands under his own label. I had a Conquistador first stage prior to the break-in at my house and it worked just fine.

Jorge at BA rocks. But I said that before. I like BA's boats: well maintained. If you are looking for a really nice camera tank, look at Living Underwater. I've been meaning to photograph and post pictures of theirs. It's really neat. It has compartments that can be made bigger (or smaller) by pulling dividers. Then, when the dive is over, they pull them all out and use to rinse gear (minus wetsuits which get done at the shop). It's very clever.

Last time I dived with BA it was water only on the boat but that may have changed with new owners.

Have never dived with SCC so can't comment.

Thanks Marge for the update on the regulators. BA gives cold water, fruits, biscuits/crackers, and cookies during SI on their boats. (At least when I was there in October).

Looking forward to heading back to BA on Wednesday and noting what changes have occurred in the last year since I was there. Did forget about the toilet paper thing. Yep...that was icky.

Aloha...

Back
Top Bottom