Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can totally understand your reluctance at spending $100 on a guide. Can you just grab a flag, look at maps and go it on your own? Sure you can. And you will see some pretty cool stuff. However, a guide can turn that Ok dive into an awesome experience. You get what you pay for. Either way, hope you have a good dive.

I can totally understand your reluctance at spending $100 on a guide. Can you just grab a flag, look at maps and go it on your own? Sure you can. And you will see some pretty cool stuff. However, a guide can turn that Ok dive into an awesome experience. You get what you pay for. Either way, hope you have a good dive.

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for your comments. There are, of course, both supporting and discouraging factors contributing to my consideration of this venture. Some of which are easily measured and quantified, counted in in the red and green columns of a bookkeepers ledger, like so many pennies to be saved or spent on such endeavors. Others remain vague and undefined, offering the hope and opportunity for exceeded expectations, or acting as a rising specter of possible disappointment and dashed presumptions. It is the latter, the unknown, which vexes my deliberations and causes pause in the analysis. The tally of these costs of such an excursion, consisting of both expenditure of my meager and restrained funds and the investment of a portion of my limited and valuable time, must therefore seem to lay the hands of the scale in such manner as to bear beneficial (or at a minimum, neutral) outcome. Your words and input have been placed in the pan, swaying the beam more than slightly towards the point of equilibrium, but not yet achieving enough movement to make the decision clear.

Are you available and willing on Monday, July 20th? If you wish to share the costs and benefits, I would happily consider the employ of your services. I recently researched the many costs and benefits of diving in Key Largo, where I found the addition of a guide to a two-tank boat trip a mere $50. Therefore, I was taken by surprise the $85 to $100 fee for dive guide services for a single shore dive at the bridge. Hence, my inquiry here about the possibility of a dive buddy familiar with this location.

Please excuse the excessive prose above. I have been reading The Count of Monte Cristo, and sought to revive the flourishes and grandeur of the tome. It may make me sound pretentious and snobbish, but I assure you I am not. I consider myself a jolly person with an accommodating disposition. I am simply bored this morning, and was seeking to add something interesting to the day.

Smiles,

Jeff

---------- Post added April 16th, 2015 at 09:37 AM ----------

The primary advantage having a guide is seeing a LOT of critters. Jeff or Mark at Force E Riviera Beach just down from the bridge on Blue Heron are excellent instructors and guides. Scuba Jenny here on SB (she posted recently above) also guides! Or, simply show up at BHB 2 or 3 hours before hi tide on your day and talk to folks there-many will be students in groups, so ignore those and find some old salts, without big cameras probably; as many photogs work alone, and ask! There is a map of the snorkel trail on the beach near the lifeguard stand. All else failing, get in about an hour before hi tide just west of the marked swimmin' area and go south to the rocks, ie., snorkel trail, then choose to go east or west--then about 20 minutes or so before hi tide head northwest if going west. OR head NE if you went east on the trail. There is MUCH more trail going east than west. Have Fun!!

Thanks for the input Jim. I'm reconsidering my original objection to the costs, but still am skeptical. The ideal situation would be if I hook up with someone before arrival, since a rented tank and weights would be wasted if I was unsuccessful finding a buddy that day.

Also, toward the end of your post, if you are suggesting I go solo, I'm not comfortable with that. Is it common down there? Is the dive shallow?

Best regards,

Jeff

GR8JAB, Solo is common at that site as it is very shallow--22 ft on the east side and 19 I think on the west. Most of the dive is around 10-15 ft. 1.5 to 2 hour dives are common--maybe longer with a 100 or 120 cu ft monster tank...........

I have been seeing temps of 78-80° over the last several days. Hopefully that holds through to the weekend so I can ditch the 5mm!

I may have a commitment already that day. Won't know probably for another month. However, if you were interested in diving that day, I'm pretty sure my commitments would be understanding.
As far as price for a guided dive at the bridge.. yes, it sounds steep. Before you commit yourself to a guide, find out how much they really know. I guided one person who the day before was charged more than what I was charging and got a guide from some shop that had been in town exactly 2 weeks! The guides that charge the $100 rates, if private, (shops that charge that much take a big cut, the guides don't get much) are the ones who have been diving there for years and have a better chance of finding critters.

BTW, I liked your writing. Creativity is always appreciated.

I may have a commitment already that day. Won't know probably for another month. However, if you were interested in diving that day, I'm pretty sure my commitments would be understanding.
As far as price for a guided dive at the bridge.. yes, it sounds steep. Before you commit yourself to a guide, find out how much they really know. I guided one person who the day before was charged more than what I was charging and got a guide from some shop that had been in town exactly 2 weeks! The guides that charge the $100 rates, if private, (shops that charge that much take a big cut, the guides don't get much) are the ones who have been diving there for years and have a better chance of finding critters.

BTW, I liked your writing. Creativity is always appreciated.

Thanks Jenny,

I'll get back on here sometime in June and see what is happening. :)

I have been seeing temps of 78-80° over the last several days. Hopefully that holds through to the weekend so I can ditch the 5mm!

Nice! Thanks for the information. If the water is over 78 degrees, then I'm back in the big pool!

Question for you Trolls:

How does one sign up for those night dives sponsored by Force-E and Pura Vida? More specifically, how far in advance do they let you sign up? There's no info on Force-E's web site about how to sign up. I sent two emails to Force-E, and neither got a reply, but I suspect phoning them may get better results for some reason. Pura Vida's web site says to call or email them to sign up, but how far in advance will I be able to do that? And how far in advance is generally necessary to guarantee a spot?--I hear these dives are popular and fill up quickly. I have dived BHB twice before, both times during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom