Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jet, the viz on the reef was very good saturday. That may be a good thing for the bridge but as we
have seen in the past this is not always a good barometer for the viz at the bridge. I hope to return
to the bridge after at least a somewhat favorable bridge report.

I just found some very disturbing activity going on, which I think is absolutely destructive to the BHB underwater life now, and may be catastrophic to the area over the next 9 months...the duration of the Project....

Apparently, "someone" decided to build up the mangrove islands...the "manmade Mangrove Islands" immediately south of the Lake Worth Bridge....There is an enormous mountain of Silt/Fill piled up right by the foot of the Lake Worth Bridge on the South West area( Bryant Park), along with some huge crane and large barge activity.... They are dumping fill into the water, trying to raise the height of the manmade mangrove islands, to about 7 feet or so higher than they are presently, and this is projected to take another 9 months--a time period where if nothing changes, we could expect the BHB Marine Park area to be subjected to such massive levels of Silt from all this fill, that all the sponges and the majority of benthic life will be destroyed...not to mention the use of the BHB area for diving will be over for this 9 month period.

I suggest EVERYONE try to get the real story of what is going on, and WHY there are not FUNCTIONAL PROTECTIONS in place to prevent the massive silting that can be seen from aerial flyovers, extending from the Lake Worth Bridge area where the fill is causing the massive silt and turbidity, all the way to the BHB Marine area and the Palm Beach Inlet.

In all fairness, I still need to get a Flyover by Jimmy Abernethy, to show aerial Proof ofe where most of the silt is coming from...there are a couple of other projects going on RIGHT NOW, near DownTown West Palm....we would need to see from the aerial video, if the main turbidity appears to originate at the Lake Worth Bridge area, or if it is a combination of existing projects...whatever we can see and get proof for, there will need to be changes in the method of restricting the silt flow from each area.

It may well be that someone got legal permission to dump all this silt, but I see it as imperative that we ASK our Envronmental Agencies to step in and FORCE the Engineers responsible for this silting, to cease the project until they can continue the project without creating the massive silt zone that will be absolutely destructive to a valuable County Marine Resource.

It would be great if we could get some more viz reports, I have a dive planned there for Tuesday with family in town and really don't want to get stuck in a no viz situation.

Thanks for the report Deb. If anyone ventures out today please update the group. I was planning on tomorrow but not for 5ft viz.

Looking down from the East bridge = zero viz. A friend went in on the west side and got out stating the same. More divers there today than yesterday. I didn't hang around to find out if anyone dove & more importantly stayed in!

Sounds grim

It would be great if we could get some more viz reports, I have a dive planned there for Tuesday with family in town and really don't want to get stuck in a no viz situation.

My wife and i also were planning to dive the bridge Tuesday. We also would like to know whether it's worth the drive or not. If the vis is 5', I don't want to go.

Called Force E--Riviera Beach..........they report 3 ft of viz at BHB, give or take an inch!! Ouch, hoped to go tomorrow--may wait and try Tuesday.

Jim, you may want to wait. I was out on the reef this afternoon on a charter and they sent the
guide down at three different locations. At 90 foot depth the viz was less than 10 feet and then shallower
and to the south was about the same. We did not dive. The morning trip actually had better viz but it
dropped off very quickly by early afternoon. The seas were not terrible but I would say a solid four
foot on the waves and swells.

Thanks Idive2,

We are waiting and hoping for Tuesday. btw, my wife said she read that Narcosis saw a whale shark yesterday--I'm guessing it was in the morning!! She saw it on Force E's facebook...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom