Blue Hole Divers....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, for the "Blue Hole Cleaning Report"

The State Police divers worked for two weeks and one weekend on the cleaning of the hole. They setup a divided barrier of large railroad timbers and straw bales to catch the sand and silt they pumped out of the bottom in fron to the hole to the parking bollards. There was a pile of sand and "crap" that was, I guess, approximately 10 to 15 cubic yards worth on the Eastern side of the parking lot. They also removed lots of smaller rock, some old concrete filled barrels (must have been used for the platform floats) and even a tree stump (I have NO idea how that got down there). And that stuff is piled up on the West side of the overflow stream area.

The visibility was pretty low for the hole, maybe 10-15' max. Not as bad as some places folks diver regularly. Our HID lights were a big help in todays dives.

The cleaning process has removed a larger area of rocks and debris below and in front of the covered inlet grate. I did not hear why this was done, but rumors are they want to open up the cavern and cave behind the grate at some point. Maybe this was the first step.

There was several groups of OW divers doing their cert dives today. I felt a bit sorry for them and the lack of viz. But, then again it wasn't all bad. A day diving was better than raking the backyard leaf pile anyday!!

Daylonious:
That's do-able.

Okay, I'm in!

D.
Cool, but you're talking February, right? Might work. The Hole is always the same, if the roads and passes are clear. Might be challenging to pick a weekend in advance, but I'm sure some folks will be glad to meet you there. I'll try. It's more ABQdiver's home pit, tho, so I'll defer* to him. (*not your everday cowboy word, right one?)

Anyway Hilary and Kevin (ABQdiver) y'all think about a weekend plan in Dec. I'm in Houston Dec 3 weekend, then leave for the Florida Keys Dec 25, so - if y'all plan on a weekend between, maybe Jerry and I could come over from Plainview.

And thanks for the report Kevin! :thumb:

DandyDon:
Cool, but you're talking February, right? Might work. The Hole is always the same, if the roads and passes are clear. Might be challenging to pick a weekend in advance, but I'm sure some folks will be glad to meet you there. I'll try. It's more ABQdiver's home pit, tho, so I'll defer* to him. (*not your everday cowboy word, right one?)

Anyway Hilary and Kevin (ABQdiver) y'all think about a weekend plan in Dec. I'm in Houston Dec 3 weekend, then leave for the Florida Keys Dec 25, so - if y'all plan on a weekend between, maybe Jerry and I could come over from Plainview.

I"m good to go in Dec. I might need to plan around hubby's shooting poor helpless defenseless birds :) ...but any weekend is probably do-able.

DandyDon:

You too, huh?

I'll be heading to Ft. Lauderdale and then Key Largo Dec 14-20. Will be at the Blue Hole Dec. 10-11 helping out with a OW class.

Will be out again on the third Sunday of January if it works for you guys.

ABQdiver:
You too, huh?

I'll be heading to Ft. Lauderdale and then Key Largo Dec 14-20. Will be at the Blue Hole Dec. 10-11 helping out with a OW class.

Will be out again on the third Sunday of January if it works for you guys.
Cool - I'll shoot for that weekend, probably bring my home buddy. If that's okay? I know I have this rowdy rep on some forums, but I'll behave myself. :D

I thought about it. If we are really going to get some people to go I might want to go sometime that I'm not "working" a class. Let me know when is good for everyone. (end of Dec....first of Feb???)

scubajoh44:
I thought about it. If we are really going to get some people to go I might want to go sometime that I'm not "working" a class. Let me know when is good for everyone. (end of Dec....first of Feb???)
ABQdiver mentioned he'd be there Dec 10-11, so I'm shooting for that. I'll be in warmer waters the end of the month. :D

Would enjoy seeing you there, along with any other SB folks. Stella got her tanks vized last month! and new O-rings!!

ABQdiver, where do you stay when you go...??

Who knows about Feb, 3 months off...?

DandyDon:
Cool - I'll shoot for that weekend, probably bring my home buddy. If that's okay? I know I have this rowdy rep on some forums, but I'll behave myself. :D
Naw! You're a teddy bear! (with a pony bottle)!!!:1poke: :shocked:

DandyDon:
ABQdiver mentioned he'd be there Dec 10-11, so I'm shooting for that. I'll be in warmer waters the end of the month. :D

ABQdiver, where do you stay when you go...??

Who knows about Feb, 3 months off...?
Over night in Santa Rosa; Usually the La Quinta Inn

If your talking about Key Largo, then we're staying at the Ocean Pointe Suites!! Can't wait!!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom