Blue water films as green: Looking for old post on this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeahorseDeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last summer I recall reading one or two threads whereby the blue water color shows up as green. I cannot find the thread(s) on this....can someone reference it for me again? I went back a year in this forum...no luck.

What do you mean? In subtropical water or temperate water? In temperate regions (i.e. drysuit country), the water almost always shows up as green in pictures and videos, except perhaps around mid/late winter. Then it's just bluish/green.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I can't point out an old topic but that was an issue I had too - GoPro's auto white balance would go nuts even in blue tropical waters and make it all look very green, much greener than it really was.

This was in blue water without a filter (not-so-great visibility that day, but blue):

Screenshot from 2014-12-16 08:40:45.jpg

Solved it by always restarting the camera at depth (which I believe does "reset" the white balance) and using a filter that handles both blue and green water well (just in case the white balance is still a little too green).

Here is the same area on another dive, same depth and with a lot of the white sand to compare the greens with the pic from before. Now using a BG filter and having restarted the camera at the bottom:

vlcsnap-2014-12-16-08h49m54s26.jpg

What do you mean? In subtropical water or temperate water? In temperate regions (i.e. drysuit country), the water almost always shows up as green in pictures and videos, except perhaps around mid/late winter.

Hilsen Storker!
I did say in blue water...it turns it green. Greetings to "Hell," I've been there, cute litte byen! Min bestemor kommer fra Verdalen på Stiklestad and my uncle lives in Trondheim! Small world!!! Godt Jul og Godt Nyyt År!
---------- Post added December 16th, 2014 at 07:06 PM ----------

I can't point out an old topic but that was an issue I had too - GoPro's auto white balance would go nuts even in blue tropical waters and make it all look very green, much greener than it really was.

This was in blue water without a filter (not-so-great visibility that day, but blue):

View attachment 199270

Solved it by always restarting the camera at depth (which I believe does "reset" the white balance) and using a filter that handles both blue and green water well (just in case the white balance is still a little too green).

Here is the same area on another dive, same depth and with a lot of the white sand to compare the greens with the pic from before. Now using a BG filter and having restarted the camera at the bottom:

View attachment 199271

Yes Toozler, that's it!!! There are two old threads but danged if I can find them! Thankyou!!! Now I need to replace the hair I've pulled out.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom