Boat Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is very interesting, I am just curious, will your modifications be permanent or do you need to use the boat for other activities aside from Disabled Divers? I think that this makes a world of difference in potential designs and acceptable modifications, Also do you have relatively deep pockets concerning the modifications??

Cheers,
Roger

This is very interesting, I am just curious, will your modifications be permanent or do you need to use the boat for other activities aside from Disabled Divers?...

Mods that were made to the Freedom before the Scuba program was envisioned added a head with better accessibility (nothing like a land based ADA bathroom though) and cleared a few obstacles. On the diving side, everything bolts on with the exception of modifying trim tabs. If she were converted back, the only real work would be re-install the swim step, fill bolt holes in the fiberglass, and paint. The Freedom was made available when the Independence was donated, which can accommodate more disabled fisherman.

We are trying to design the lift/platform so it would stand a reasonable chance of fitting other vessels in the same size range with different bolt-on attachments. The Freedom will only accommodate about six passengers, even though she is 50'. A lot of space is taken up by cabins forward. The good part is multi-day trips can be made in good weather down to the Big Sur area. I am not sure what the thinking is on what disabilities they could accommodate on multiday trips because the passageways and heads below decks are your typical small and narrow spaces of any vessel her size.

There are a lot of amputees with amazing mobility thanks to modern prostheses, rehab, and more courage than I can imagine. People with their injuries couldn’t even consider getting aboard a boat like the Freedom back in the Korea and WWII era, let alone diving. Definitely a rewarding experience for me in many ways.

… I think that this makes a world of difference in potential designs and acceptable modifications, Also do you have relatively deep pockets concerning the modifications??...

Deep pockets, unfortunately not. The generosity has been amazing by donors and volunteers. RIX Industries donated a brand new oil-free SA-6 HP Compressor last September with spares and support. Other companies are donating or giving deep discounts on materials and services.

The hope is to get the Freedom operational for diving before the lift is installed to support divers with less severe disabilities. They will need to be able to climb a ladder with minimal assistance, but can jettison gear before boarding. With luck, we can get the lift prefabricated before she needs her next haul-out. Replacing the existing swim step and trim tab mods will require plugging holes below the waterline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom