Boat captain encouraging wreck penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally, an idea for a Scuba Tattoo, of my c-card! if the ink can clearly show my AOW c-card number, and another tattoo for Nitrox.

Don't give the dive agencies any ideas!

"Card collectors" could take on a whole new look.

Although some people like another diver to "take command", because it reassures them that the emphatic speaker must have everything under control. In fact, the diver who is milquetoast/acquiescent is LOOKING for a trust-me type dive leader, and that should be a red flag too. The diver that puts themselves on equal responsibility footing, graciously, is a better long term dive buddy.

Not to get too off-topic, but that reminds me of something that was covered in my Rescue class: how to talk to a diver who may need a little help without sounding too paternalistic.

Being a frequent diver in the great lakes, I will echo what others have said earlier on in this threat that charters here are different than resort charters. They tend to be more "you're on your own" once you are out there. Penetration, deco, solo, etc. It's up to you to know what your limitations are. They aren't double checking your qualifications or gear when you get to the dive site. No one is typically questioning your dive plan. It's a different atmosphere up here.

That being said, there is a difference between allowing divers to do whatever they want and advocating for others to do something. Having a thorough briefing including information about penetration is appropriate. Suggesting that people do something without training is different.

Just as an MHO: you might get better traction for your opinions if you were a little bit less snarky in your responses.

Sugar, vinegar, flies...
Sometimes she's charming, sometimes not. It who she is. BTW, I agree with you on this.

Finally, an idea for a Scuba Tattoo, of my c-card! if the ink can clearly show my AOW c-card number, and another tattoo for Nitrox.
You have a drink of me if I ever meet you.
Capture a picture to your phone. I mean if you're going to get a tattoo, get something cool like the SB logo.
Nah, everyone can have a picture on a phone, but what happens if your phone dies? Carry a backup? I'm quite attached to my skin, so little chance of forgetting to take it with me.

Ha! No tats for me, I couldn't even imagine scribbling on myself.

But I'd consider being "chipped". All my dogs are. I could just be "read" by a mate on the gangplank with a reader gun. It's right under my smallpox scar. How easy is that?

:wink:

Sure, that's great ... until you're hacked. Then the mate tells you you can't do the dive because it says you're only Jr. OW.

:wink:

My personal view is that the boat/charter is a taxi service. I show up and get instabuddied with someone or follow the dm group. If I go with the dm/groups dive I follow the plan laid out in the dive brief. If with a different instabuddy, we still follow the dive brief instructions ( be up in x amount of time or on the boat with x psi) but then discuss our own limitations and plans. The only thing I care about is that time and psi restrictions. Other than that I decide what I am comfortable with and discuss this BEFORE the splash.
I dive WPB as often as I can. I like that the the dm gives a brief and everyone follows it to a degree. Whatever degree you follow at the end of the day always carry a dsmb and turn the dive or surface on your own.
At the end of the day if you aren't comfortable then do what makes you comfortable. Surface on your own if you have to.

Being a frequent diver in the great lakes, I will echo what others have said earlier on in this threat that charters here are different than resort charters. They tend to be more "you're on your own" once you are out there. Penetration, deco, solo, etc. It's up to you to know what your limitations are. They aren't double checking your qualifications or gear when you get to the dive site. No one is typically questioning your dive plan. It's a different atmosphere up here.

That being said, there is a difference between allowing divers to do whatever they want and advocating for others to do something. Having a thorough briefing including information about penetration is appropriate. Suggesting that people do something without training is different.
I like your description of Great Lakes ops. Pretty similar to those I've taken in the southern U.S. I would be interested to know if such a "do what you want" approach does or doesn't attract more lawsuits.
Also agree with your last paragraph.

My personal view is that the boat/charter is a taxi service.

get instabuddied

follow the dm group

follow the plan laid out in the dive brief

follow the dive brief instructions

on the boat with x psi

time and psi restrictions

You must have some weird taxis where you live. That sounds more like a coach load of OAPs going on a trip to theatre than a taxi ride.

If the boat is a taxi then the most you can expect is a time limit before they get on the radio to call for help.

Back
Top Bottom