Boat captain encouraging wreck penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike, is there no office where divers check in upon arrival? I could see checking C-cards on the boat if there is in fact no office and divers just proceed directly to the boat.

Nope, there is a slip that the boat is at. Works pretty good as an office to check cards and get liability waivers if they didn't fill out and sign that online also :wink:

here in the PNW and BC, I've always had to fill out release forms. Because I dive with many of the same charters, they don't ask me to see my C-card, but the first time they saw me they did. Whether it is CG regulations, CG personnel preferences, or boat policy, it is all the same to me. I just comply and go have fun that day.

So sue me for erring on the side of caution! What if one of the unexperienced/untrained had taken this as an OK to penetrate, with no light and no reel, got lost in a silted out wreck, and died?

I'd consider this to be a "trust me" dive.

The Captain wasn't doing the dive. You were. You are responsible for it. If you aren't comfortable doing it, then don't. Just don't hang it on someone else if you do, or don't.

So you are always OK to do a penetration dive, man. Just like you are always OK to do whatever dive you think is going to make you happy. No one but you is responsible for that.

The Captain wasn't doing the dive. You were. You are responsible for it. If you aren't comfortable doing it, then don't. Just don't hang it on someone else if you do, or don't.

So you are always OK to do a penetration dive, man. Just like you are always OK to do whatever dive you think is going to make you happy. No one but you is responsible for that.

Well, it's easy to say that right? But, if you were on my boat, and did that, and something happened...I can guarantee your family would still sue or try to sue us. My boat is not the one in question here, but just saying. I do agree it's up to a diver to know their limits though, and I wish more would think about their limits sometimes instead of just doing the dives. There is liability that does occur in a situation you mention, and even though we can all say it's up to the diver, we do have to babysit people to the best of our ability for their safety and our own liability sometimes. CYA

That is quite surprising to me. I don't think I have ever been able to get a tank on my back without filling in a form with my cert number and showing my card. I've been diving for far less time than you; perhaps you are very well known.

I can do one better. I have never once been asked to see a C-card.

Well, it's easy to say that right? But, if you were on my boat, and did that, and something happened...I can guarantee your family would still sue or try to sue us. My boat is not the one in question here, but just saying. I do agree it's up to a diver to know their limits though, and I wish more would think about their limits sometimes instead of just doing the dives. There is liability that does occur in a situation you mention, and even though we can all say it's up to the diver, we do have to babysit people to the best of our ability for their safety and our own liability sometimes. CYA

You own a dive operation. You know as well as anyone that even if the diver does everything right, your crew does everything right, you do everything right, and the diver ends up dead, you're gonna get sued.

But you know what would probably get you sued even quicker? "Your honor, there were penetration holes cut into the wreck and the boat crew didn't tell us about them." When it comes to this kind of briefing, omission is going to get you into trouble, whereas you can always argue where the hair between "encouragement" and "good dive briefing" gets cut.

"Bring your Certification Card on EVERY Divers Dream Dive Trip. No card, No dive. This is for the Coast Guard and we are strict on this rule.
Finally, an idea for a Scuba Tattoo, of my c-card! if the ink can clearly show my AOW c-card number, and another tattoo for Nitrox.
As your instabudy, this would likely rub me the wrong way. Instead of being told what my turn pressure is, I'd expect a conversation along the lines of "tactful wording"
Although some people like another diver to "take command", because it reassures them that the emphatic speaker must have everything under control. In fact, the diver who is milquetoast/acquiescent is LOOKING for a trust-me type dive leader, and that should be a red flag too. The diver that puts themselves on equal responsibility footing, graciously, is a better long term dive buddy.

Finally, an idea for a Scuba Tattoo, of my c-card! if the ink can clearly show my AOW c-card number, and another tattoo for Nitrox.
Capture a picture to your phone. I mean if you're going to get a tattoo, get something cool like the SB logo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom