Boat Captain's rules or your own safety?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with safety of being under a diver on a ladder. I've seen divers fall before and land on other divers.

seem's the captain was being a bit of an ass though, regardless. but the scuba industry is full of them. But I agree with him on divers falling on another diver on the ladder.

but climbing a closed rung ladder with fins on? that's about stupid. I don't care what boat it's on.

btw... here is a picture of the stern of the above boat. you can barely see the top of the 'closed run ladder' under the gangplank that you get on the boat from.

would you like to climb that in fins with gear on? (nope... didn't think so).

enext2.jpg

btw... here is a picture of the stern of the above boat. you can barely see the top of the 'closed run ladder' under the gangplank that you get on the boat from.

would you like to climb that in fins with gear on? (nope... didn't think so).

Yes, that's the boat, thanks for posting it.

You can just get a glimpse of the ladder under there; the left side of the top rung.

His boat = his rules.

Your money = your choice of charter and it ain't goin' into HIS charter. Not to mention that you might be able to influence a few other divers to not spending their monies into HIS charter.

His boat = his rules.

Your money = your choice of charter and it ain't goin' into HIS charter. Not to mention that you might be able to influence a few other divers to not spending their monies into HIS charter.

I certainly won't be recommending his boat to others as I have done in the past, and if this thread garners him some negative advertising then that's an ok "unintended effect".

:cool2:

Then again he announced that this will be his last year running dive trips so what does he care.

On my last ocean dive a guy was too close to me when I was going up the ladder and was almost knocked out when his head connected with my tank after a big wave. It ruined the rest of his day. I think the captain has the right idea, and so do you by picking a new dive op. If your girlfriend can't get up the ladder she can start doing pull-ups and maybe walking with weight in a backpack, it would make things a lot easier on her.

What is the reason that you are not allowed to put your fins on your wrists while hanging on the trail line and have both hands and both feet able to get on the ladder fast? Even in rough seas it is safe and much easier. Boarded boats with closed ladders in 4-6 ft seas like that. A bouncing boat is a beast you want to get both hands and at least one foot on fast. Fins on rule is asking for a lawsuit when the step you should have been standing on takes your chin up over your forehead.

If your girlfriend can't get up the ladder she can start doing pull-ups and maybe walking with weight in a backpack, it would make things a lot easier on her.

Her problem wasn't that she couldn't pull herself up the ladder, it was with working her fins in between the rungs. In order to climb the ladder you've got to slide all the way to one side, pull your foot back enough so the front of your flipper clears the ladder, then cross your foot a bit and slide the fin in between the rungs, then slide all the way to the other side, and repeat with the other fin. Then continue this "crossed fin duck waddle" all the way up the ladder.

What is the reason that you are not allowed to put your fins on your wrists while hanging on the trail line and have both hands and both feet able to get on the ladder fast? Even in rough seas it is safe and much easier.

I have no clue. But that's really irrelevant, all that matters is what the Captain expects divers to do on his boat, not what's necessarily the safest or "best" way.

Interesting find on the Eagles Nest website:

10. All divers are responsible for their own personal safety once they step
off the Eagle's Nest and enter the water.

I guess that once you touch the ladder, your own personal safety isn't up to you?

And technically I was still in the water..so is it his rules or my rules?

Climbing a closed ladder with fins on sounds pretty stupid to me; an incident waiting to happen (I wouldn't hand off my fins, though; I'd keep them on their leash!). It rings a bit like "this is my sandbox so you'll do whatever I say, even if it doesn't make sense".

That said: his boat, his rules.

Don't like his rules? You've already indicated that he thinks he's doing you a favor by letting you dive off his boat; chalk this one up to experience and take your diving dollar elsewhere. I would.

Captain is in charge. Its his boat.

That said a dive boat with a closed ladder is simply retarded. Get a proper christmas tree ladder which is designed to be safely climbed by fully kitted divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom