Boat licence in Japan.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all -
I'm wondering about boat licences in Japan. I know that you need one for about anything bigger than a rowboat but what's involved? Presumably there is one licence for recreational boats - anyone know things like engine sizes/boat sizes etc. Who do you have to go to for the test? Can you do it in English? In fact any and all information on this subject would be very welcome!

Whew...
After checking out that link, and knowing what just a regular driving license involved for me here in Japan, and thinking of the language barrier, I'd say I'd have about as much chance of getting a boat license as accomplishing some other impossible feat, a humorous example of which I cannot think of right now...

Though I suppose if you have the cash, they must have special schools that can just about guarantee a pass...

JAG, they offer the class IV testing in English.

Class 1, you had better know Japanese if you drive a 20 ton cruiser.

Mar Scuba:
What did you find on Google?

http://www.jmra.or.jp/english/english.html

They changed the classifications of the boat license system about a year ago.
Thanks for the link. I didn't try Google as I thought I'd only get Japanese hits! Actually from www.jmra.or.jp there doesn't seem to be any link to this English page!
Now I'm wondering if you can get the knowledge stuff in English. Of course - the other point is I'm not sure how you are supposed to practice the technical stuff (manouvering/seamanship etc) as you're not allowed to drive a boat without a licence - seems like a bit of a catch 22!!
Still the 4th class licence covers you out to 5nm so it might be worth looking at.

Check out someone like Tokyo Power and Sail Squadron. I'll let you Google it since there are a few sites, and not sure which one is actually valid/up to date.

They can get you the materials in English.

Regarding the actual boat skills, you can arrange practice dates. This is where some costs come into play.

It's kind of like when you take the drivers license test, you can arrange a practice date on the test course by going through a driving school, etc.

I keep saying that I am going to take this but there are only a couple of dive ops that will let us actually drive the boat. Now, in the distant future, we may buy a dive boat, but that's a long way down the road. The problem is where to keep it, i.e. slip fees. Very expensive up here, maybe where you are it is much cheaper.

If it was moored then I believe slip fees here are also very expensive. However if I did it I'd look for something that I can load onto a trailer. Actually one of my neighbours has a boat on a trailer so I was going to talk to him - who knows, he might even let me borrow it. In the end I only want something that'll take up to four divers and gear so it doesn't have to be so big.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom