Boat licence in Japan.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish:
Sounds like you have some space, Kim...

I'm guessing properties are a bit more generous down there than up here...
Yes - we have enough room to park about 6 cars. If that wasn't enough I'm sure it'd also be OK to use one of the schools - they have loads. We are in the countryside here (or at least - very small town/village) - space isn't a problem! (the centipedes can be though!!!)

That's a good idea, because you can't dock at most harbors because they are controlled by the fishing associations. Private harbors here are expensive!

As we now offer boat license classes also, know a little on the subject. The class/test is available in English. New system in place Class 2 is 5 ton or less, 5 nm from port. This is the class you would need for a small 4 passenger boat. There is also a new personal watercraft license for jetskis only, used to be Class 4 covered 5 ton or less and jetskis now if you drive a jetski you need a special license. Class 1 is available in English- (I am upgrading to Class 1 on Oct 19th- hopefully if I pass the test) There is a written and practical exam the test is 50 questions for Class 2 and 65 for Class 1. A score of 60% or greater is needed to pass the written.
The practical involves driving and docking much like a standard car driving test with parrellel parking.
The test is mostly the international rules of the road, chart reading, nav and basic mechanics for a boat.

Kim:
Thanks for the link. I didn't try Google as I thought I'd only get Japanese hits! Actually from www.jmra.or.jp there doesn't seem to be any link to this English page!
Now I'm wondering if you can get the knowledge stuff in English. Of course - the other point is I'm not sure how you are supposed to practice the technical stuff (manouvering/seamanship etc) as you're not allowed to drive a boat without a licence - seems like a bit of a catch 22!!
Still the 4th class licence covers you out to 5nm so it might be worth looking at.

Kim, I am facing same problems as you, I live in Kyushu and I want to get my boat license. I am gratefull for the jmra link and am now contacting them to do my exam in Moji. Practical operation is no problem but I need to study rules etc. Does anybody know how I can get an english language textbook for 3 th. and 4 th. class license.
I have been thinking of going to Okinawa on a 3 day trip to have some instructions and do tests there, but to keep costs low, I would prefer to do tests in Moji.
Henk.

Back
Top Bottom