Boat prep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K Mejean

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK you boat owners. I want to know what you do to prep your boat for diving. I have a little 20ft. Bow rider that I think I could dive off of and would have no problem taking out about 5-10 miles on calm days. I just want to know what you guys are doing to get prepared as I am thinking real hard about diving off mine. Of course I will make sure there is a boat attendant while i am under water I am refering to equipment and such.

A few things we do.

1. A HUGE 5 X 3 foot dive flag that flies off the mast.
2. A current line with a throw ring at the end. It is about 30 feet long. 2 dive flag floats are also on the current line.
3. Have an emergency plan and brief all on the vessel with your plan. Make sure the radio stays on channel 16 so that in case of an emergency, it is ready to be used.
4. My husband and I are both DanO2 certified and next on our list is to get the DAN emergency O2 kit.

Happy diving!

Have a couple of lines about 15 feet long with snap clips at the end. These should be tied to a cleat before you enter the water. When you surface, clip your weight belt to one and your bcd/tank to the other. It makes getting out of the water a whole lot easier. Then bring the weight belt and bcd aboard.

My rule of thumb for anchor line: No matter how much chain and anchor line you have, it will never be too much.

BTW: Make sure you can climb aboard while you are close to shore. It may be easier said than done and you don't want to discover that out at sea.

Thanks for all the info. Now I can go spend more money. My wife is gonna love that.

Unfortunately most boaters don't know or acknowledge what a dive flag is. I'm ordering one that has an extra section attached to the bottom of the flag that says (in big bright red words) "DIVERS BELOW". If they still don't get it after reading that, I won't feel bad about cutting their anchor line from below.

I have a 24 inch dive flag but I think I might need to get a bigger one just to be safe. I plan on using a floating flag as well so maybe that will help.

N@rco$i$:

Unfortunately most boaters don't know or acknowledge what a dive flag is. I'm ordering one that has an extra section attached to the bottom of the flag that says (in big bright red words) "DIVERS BELOW". If they still don't get it after reading that, I won't feel bad about cutting their anchor line from below.

So true...about the flag...but I figure that the bigger the better! Where did you order your flag? I got my big one off of ebay for 5 bucks.

I put a large flag on a pole, in a rod holder, in the T-top so it flys well over the boat and very visable from all the way around the boat and a floating flag on a line about 15' to 20' behind the boat on one corner, then on the other corner, a 15' tag line or drift line and a descent line. A 4 tank holder across the transom and two 3 tank holders made from swim noodle thingies.
Like someone already said you need a good boarding ladder, I don't have one and it makes life alittle bit harder... A good anchor with a long enough chain (1/3 of boat size so i am told) and enough anchor line to get a good angle ( not sure what the right angle is) and dive safe and dive smart.

Plenty of line. I carry over 350' of 3/8" line with two anchors and chains. I set two anchors. Min of 3 to 1 scope on line. [number of feet of line out for each foot of depth] More if you have much wind, current or waves. Depth sounder. O2 bottle a must, gps so you can tell where your are to the CG. 4 to 6 down lines to clip gear off, and I use a 50' drag line with float out the stern. Just some of the things I use.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom