Boat sinkings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
By my count, a month and half into 2014 the following dive boats have sunk in the Andaman sea
- Bunmee (Fire)
- Aladdin (ran into something)
- Blue Star (Fire)

I don't recall seeing fire extinguishers or smoke alarms on dive boats.

Quite often the liveaboard boats will have fire extinguishers.

Aladdin did not run in to something (correction, that apparently happened in November), but was simply in a bad state. The sinking of the other 2 boats came as a surprise to me.

Last Sunday (February 9), the MV Blue Star, belonging to Chalong Sea Sports, caught fire and sank in Burmese waters while on a week-long dive trip. All 20 or so people on board were rescued by a passing fishing boat, though they lost their belongings, and a great deal of expensive dive gear went down with the boat.
On January 29, the Ranong-based dive boat Magic Carpet sank near Koh Tachai after its hull was holed.

Bunmee sank 1st February, that makes it 4 with the Aladdin. What's going on at the Andaman side?

Source; Samui Times

Magic Carpet sank near Koh Tachai after its hull was holed. Bunmee sank 1st February, that makes it 4 with the Aladdin. What's going on at the Andaman side?

Magic Carpet is Aladdin .. same boat. Aladdin is the company name, but the boat was called Magic Carpet.

You wait ages for a bus and 3 come at once.

Thx for the clarification. At least one of the boats didn't have a permit to be in the Similans when it sank, a corruption related issue but not really the reason why the boat sank. Makes you wonder if there are any checks on the boats at all.

Last Sunday (February 9), the MV Blue Star, belonging to Chalong Sea Sports, caught fire and sank in Burmese waters while on a week-long dive trip. All 20 or so people on board were rescued by a passing fishing boat, though they lost their belongings, and a great deal of expensive dive gear went down with the boat.
On January 29, the Ranong-based dive boat Magic Carpet sank near Koh Tachai after its hull was holed.

Bunmee sank 1st February, that makes it 4 with the Aladdin. What's going on at the And
aman side?
Source; Samui Times

The same applies all over Thailand, and not only to dive boats. The recent ferry sinking in Pattaya when all witnesses / passengers said the boat was grossly overcrowded (of course the owner said differently) The boat captain was found to have been drinking / taking drugs. Straight after the incident there was a lot of talk about what was going to happen in the future to prevent further such incidents, visits from government ministers etc etc. As usual, all their action was simply PR designed to deflect any bad publicity that may have a negative effect on tourist income, only a few weeks after this unfortunate incident the Pattaya authorities were proudly claiming a 100% marine safety record for 2013. Utter nonsense, there were several fatalities that I am aware in the area last year involving boats / jet ski's etc, apart from this tragic ferry sinking in November. Not surprisingly, nothing has changed and 3 months on everything is just as it was. Until the next time.
Simple facts are that firstly, the majority of boats in Thailand are not constructed to the same standards as they would be in western countries, many have been converted from their original purpose to cater for the more lucrative tourist industry, with such things as additional decks added without any consideration the alterations may have on the boats stability. Regulation on boat construction / operating standards / insurance requirements are not as onerous as we might be used to in the West. Enforcement of any regulation is sparse and fraught with corruption. Also many operators put profit first and have little or no regard for customer safety.
But it is Thailand, and despite what I Have said the vast majority of tourists that use boats here for what ever reason do so incident free. But the potential for marine accidents is still much greater than most of us would be used to in our own countries.

I used to wonder what it would take for the Thai authorities... or the broader Thai society to finally start taking safety serious. Then there was the 66 deaths at the Santika club fire, and absolutely no change, not even a serious discussion of improvements. Now I think nothing will change it, a disaster with a large death toll will just become a statistic, too big to tackle. Thai's just seem incapable of taking constructive criticism and learn from their mistakes, instead they just sweep it all under the rug and pretend nothing happened. And I don't think tourists are helping either. Too many just want cheap deals and stories about how much they haggled when they go back home. A referral from a friend once asked me for the cheapest OW1 course and the cheapest Similans trip. I told her I could refer them to good instructors and boats offering good value, but she insisted she just wanted the cheapest. I couldn't help her.

The same applies all over Thailand, and not only to dive boats. The recent ferry sinking in Pattaya when all witnesses / passengers said the boat was grossly overcrowded (of course the owner said differently) The boat captain was found to have been drinking / taking drugs. Straight after the incident there was a lot of talk about what was going to happen in the future to prevent further such incidents, visits from government ministers etc etc. As usual, all their action was simply PR designed to deflect any bad publicity that may have a negative effect on tourist income, only a few weeks after this unfortunate incident the Pattaya authorities were proudly claiming a 100% marine safety record for 2013. Utter nonsense, there were several fatalities that I am aware in the area last year involving boats / jet ski's etc, apart from this tragic ferry sinking in November. Not surprisingly, nothing has changed and 3 months on everything is just as it was. Until the next time.
Simple facts are that firstly, the majority of boats in Thailand are not constructed to the same standards as they would be in western countries, many have been converted from their original purpose to cater for the more lucrative tourist industry, with such things as additional decks added without any consideration the alterations may have on the boats stability. Regulation on boat construction / operating standards / insurance requirements are not as onerous as we might be used to in the West. Enforcement of any regulation is sparse and fraught with corruption. Also many operators put profit first and have little or no regard for customer safety.
But it is Thailand, and despite what I Have said the vast majority of tourists that use boats here for what ever reason do so incident free. But the potential for marine accidents is still much greater than most of us would be used to in our own countries.

IMO this has nothing to do with accepting criticism, but with the differences in attitude to life and death between the western, christian, societies and the Thai, buddhist, society.

Here death is simply accepted as part of life, in the west we do everything to avoid it, and since we still can't do that to postpone it.

That is just a small part of it, imho Steven, it has more to do with loss of face, 'kreng jai' and the fact that nobody wants to take any responsibility for any of their actions.
Oh, and did I mention corruption?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom