Boaters Inattention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
People complain about close calls with their dive flags. It's not just dive flags. Boats are running into boats. About once every two months there is a collision on the news, where a boater didn't see the other boat, usually drinking was involved

If they can't see another boat, they probably won't see your flag

I just saw this picture and had to post it. Be careful on those surface intervals

Empty beer cans found in crashed Shuswap boat - The Globe and Mail

Attachments

• speedboat.jpg
    speedboat.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 468
here in Oklahoma I was totaly shocked to learn that there is no real boat education what so ever. I bought my boat and was handed a book called Oklahoma boater law or something like that. When I went and picked up the boat there was no classes to take. No special permits no nothing.

With this in mind I have made it a task to ask boat operators in general conversation if they know what a scuba flag is and what it means. So far other then divers I have yet to see one person get the answer right. Now thats scary!!!!!!

Also on a recent dive I anchored off and was the only boat there at the time. I raised the flag and went for a 10 minute dive. When I surfaced I observed around 10 boats sitting withing 25 feet of my boat and flag and a bunch of curious people asking if I was a diver....... One boat I surfaced 5 feet from.

I dont believe in more regulation but I really feel boaters need to at least pass some sort of exam explaining marine signs lights and flags. Instead Oklahoma says "Heres the keys and theres the boat. Enjoy!!!!"

In CT we need to have a boaters safety course which is 2 four hour classes. Some towns give them for free, some cost $25, and some cost well over $100 depending on where you take them.

CT has also applied all of the drunken driving laws to boating and they are reciprocal across all motor vehicles. In other words, if you are stopped on your boat and found to have a blood alcohol level of over 0.08 it is treated by the courts as the same as if you were stopped driving your car at the same level, you can loose your car driving licenses and your boating card all at the same time. All your insurances are going to go through the roof too.

In Texas if you are over 16 all you need is to have your head up your butt and away you go. I had my 25ft toon at the lake last weekend and it amazed the crap out of me just who they will let drive a boat or pwc. I tried to anchor for some family time and every dumba$$ with a new v8 or jetski had to come and show off how little the know.

Thankfully here in florida you need to have a licenses (in a manner of speaking) but it's still sad that most boaters dont respect or even know what a diver flag is. Fish and game is not kind to boaters that violate the laws but having them catch offenders is 1 in a million chance.

We as divers have to be extra carefull when it comes to boat traffic.

I'm a diver AND a boat driver, and I have a few observations:

1. Dive flags can be very difficult to see, depending on their design, location on the boat, how big they are, and which way the wind is blowing. I have missed them on other boats until I got too close.

2. Divers or swimmers in the water can also be very difficult to see.

3. Divers themselves can exhibit some pretty clueless behavior. Anchoring your 16 foot dive boat with your hanky-sized dive flag, on the edge of a major shipping channel, is just asking for trouble.

4. Boat owners (at least here in CA) do not have to know anything in order to drive a boat, and few of them do.

5. Never assume that a boat sees you. I have seen 36-foot fishing yachts go by me at 25 knots, on full auto-pilot, with nobody at the helm.

I fly a nice big flag on my boat, but I would absolutely NEVER put any faith in other boaters being able to see it, or knowing what it means.

I was once ascending when I noticed that my boat, which was at anchor, was not alone. There was another boat stopped about 15 feed away. We surfaced on the far side of my boat and then swam around it. Of all people it was Santa Monica Baywatch (not the TV show). They should have known better than to be so close with divers in the water, but I will say they were not under power.

I was once ascending when I noticed that my boat, which was at anchor, was not alone. There was another boat stopped about 15 feed away. We surfaced on the far side of my boat and then swam around it. Of all people it was Santa Monica Baywatch (not the TV show). They should have known better than to be so close with divers in the water, but I will say they were not under power.

I'm TOTALLY with you on that, Bruce. I HATE it when that happens!

PNDN.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom