Bob, my dad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dad was the father of three little girls that had to be taken care of so when the desire to learn to scuba hit him, he put it off.

When I got certified 5 years ago and went on my first dive vacation, my dad told me how he'd always wanted to try it. But by that time he had lost 1/2 a lung and a kidney to cancer as well as a double by-pass and becoming diabetic, so he did not feel his doctors would release him and he never tried.

But my dad was who first taught me how to aim a camera and look for shots so I took underwater pictures and videos for him and he said it meant so much more than just watching it on Discovery.

My dad passed in November 2008 when the cancer finally won, and in April I went on my first dive trip since he died. I got upset knowing he wouldn't be there to see my pictures and videos when I got home, but then it occurred to me that he didn't need to see my pictures and videos because he could now dive with me.

So, to my dad... who even though he never followed his dreams somehow managed to have a kid who would, and even shared them vicariously for a few years.

I miss you Pop.
wow what a bittersweet story.you brought a tear to my eye. I am so so sorry for your Loss.

Sorry to hear about your dad maggs_the, sounds like he was an awesome dude!

I have heard it said that they are never truly gone as long as someone remembers them and shares them with others.

Their always right there with you.

All the best maggs on your Blackbeard's Cruise. Have fun and enjoy!

No person ever dies, as long as their memory lives in your heart. No person is ever forgotten, as this day was known to the creator before the begining of time. May your time be peaceful and joyous before you and your family are reunited with your father. A man, who evidently knew how to love.

I'm so sorry that you lost your Dad. I feel that those who we love are with us when they pass on. We cannot see them but they offer protection they couldn't when they were stuck here in human form. I lost my Dad at 6 1/2 years old. I have sensed his presence through the years. Your dad is with you. He is your angel now.

I hope you have an amazing time on the Blackbeard's Cruise.

Sadly, we did not get to even go. Last Friday, we had tornados shut down Olive Branch, MS (just south of Memphis, TN) and lost land phones, cell phones, internet and power. All kinds of flights were cancelled and delayed and with all communication being disrupted (you'd get a call to connect only to have it drop 3 minutes in), it was a nightmare to try and figure out how we could possibly make it to Freeport Bahamas in time to get on the boat by 3pm local time. We thought we had trip insurance via DAN and Dive Assure, but shame on us because we only had DIVE insurance.

Blackbeard's website plainly states "no refunds" but we thought they would be willing to let us reschedule. Their stance is that since there was obviously at least one telephone in Memphis somewhere that was working, they feel the best they can offer is to allow us to rebook on 7-day stand-by... that means, we can call them on any given Friday to find out if they have space available for the following Saturday. If they do, then we have those 7 days to make arrangements at work and home for an international trip.

We asked if we could simply be confirmed for bunks that are currently empty out in October, their slow season, and were told they would not even consider losing revenue by allowing us to take bunks other paying customers could have.

You know, it wasn't that they have the "no refund policy" or even the "stand by policy" but rather the condenscending and annoyed attitudes they had with me for even asking. they repeatedly brought up the fact that there HAD to be a telephone where we could have made a call (internet was the first thing to come back when power came back on, so i shot off an e-mail at 10am Saturday explaining our problem and Blackbeard's called us at 6:30pm Saturday nite when the phones came back on where we explained over the phone that the airlines offered us no alternative flights that could get us to Freeport in time to get on the boat Saturday by 3pm). When I finally lost patience and asked if we HAD found that magical phone and been able to call, would it have made a difference in whether we were allowed to confirm a date in October or not??

The answer was "no, I'm just saying there had to be a phone working somewhere."

:depressed:

I spent all week trying to nicely explain how we are not trying to rip them off and get something for nothing, and even asked if we could pay a 10% rebooking fee ($175) just for the peace of mind of having a firm date. They are unmoveable and actually quite spiteful which makes me wonder if we will ever call on any given Friday and find space is available.

I feel like I let everyone down. I know my dad is still going to be with me when I next dive, but I had just psyche'd myself up so much for this trip. Yesterday was Father's Day. I guess it's really just playing on my mind right now.

Hi Karen,
I'm new to this Scubaboard. Being quite curious how this thing works I started clicking around and bumped on your post. Like you, i'm surprised how people responded to your open message.
I definatly think it to be a beautifull way for people to communicate that share same passions. Thanks for sharing your experience and I wish you both a great time in the Bahamas!

Hi Karen,

Sorry for the loss of your father, nothing can ever replace our parents. I'm sure it is comforting to take him diving with you now as your guardian angel. Thanks for sharing your post, it was very touching.

As for the Blackbeard's Cruise problem... that's a big bummer about the no refund with the weather problem you had. I believe everything happens for a reason... I'm sure there's a better dive trip waiting out there for you somewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom