bolt snap size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonH20:
OK, I have a crazy idea. I'm pretty sure this will get shot down and burn in flames, but I'll throw it out for your amusment none the less. :wink:

I'm new and I'm sure with practice I'll get better at thumbing open the bolt snaps with my numb fingers in my 5mm gloves whithout even looking. But for now it's a bit of a challenge sometimes. So I was thinking, could you make something like a small seat belt buckle? To open, you just have to press a big ol dumb button (no coordination required), and to close it's even simpler, just push the two ends together. It has the advantages of the suicide clip in ease of operation, but you don't have to worry about it getting hung up on anything. Well unless you're diving in a sunken seat belt factory. :)

OK, blast away! :m16:

Jason - one thing that will make it much easier is to convert from wet gloves to dry gloves. The blue ones that you see me wearing, while they look thick and ungainly, are pretty sticky when it comes to working with the boltsnaps.

A less expensive idea is to put your gloves on while you are watching t.v. and clip and unclip the snap to to belt loop on your pants.

Another tip: when you are clipping your spg boltsnap have the opening (of the boltsnap) facing your back. Your knuckles will be facing forward now when you clip and unclip it.

Derek S:
Soggy is correct. It is within the first few chapters of the book. I don't remember the guy's name, but he was a cave diving pioneer along with Billy Deans who had come up from FL to dive the Doria. The "suicide clips" led to his death (well, that and he penetrated the wreck when they had decided that they weren't going to on this first dive).

Great book BTW, I look forward to reading his other book on the Empress....
His name was John Orhmsby, I think.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom