bolt snap size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You *could*, but it would be pointless and would be a solution to a non-existant problem. With a little practice, you'll get it just fine. It's the bolt-snap on the SPG that gets you used to it. Unclipping and reclipping every 5 minutes of a dive really ingrains the skill. Another thing you can do is put a bolt snap on your key chain. I play with it all day, sometimes outside with gloves on.

Soggy:
You *could*, but it would be pointless and would be a solution to a non-existant problem. With a little practice, you'll get it just fine. It's the bolt-snap on the SPG that gets you used to it. Unclipping and reclipping every 5 minutes of a dive really engrains the skill. Another thing you can do is put a bolt snap on your key chain. I play with it all day, sometimes outside with gloves on.
Yea, you guessed it. I've had a few chances to dive a DIR'ish BC, and the SPG always gives me problems. The first couple of times I would just crane my neck around to look at it without unclipping. At least now I can unclip and reclip it, but it takes some fumbling around.

JasonH20:
Yea, you guessed it. I've had a few chances to dive a DIR'ish BC, and the SPG always gives me problems. The first couple of times I would just crane my neck around to look at it without unclipping. At least now I can unclip and reclip it, but it takes some fumbling around.

Don't cheat and you'll get used to it very quickly :wink:

Also, the dring could've been poorly positioned.

I've gotten them at both Home Depot and Lowe's, but I've always paid between $7 and $10 for them there.

the price of bolt snaps is a freakin joke, how much could it possible cost to manufacture them.

Is there any company that makes a bolt snap with a larger thumbpiece? I have a difficulty using them with my 5mm gloves expecially when they are wet.

I'd like to know the exact size snap bolts used for the SPG, Scout, Can light, Long hose reg, etc.. Home Depot does have them.

I'd hope that the time to disconnect the SPG bolt, will never be a moment wasted that could be used to save my damn life. LOL. I can see it now.... fumbling to get the SPG off, and it slipping from my grasp then having to take the time to reach back and find it... blah blah blah.

Seriously though.... the snap bolt on my SPG is beyond a PITA right now to clip and unclip. It is enough to make me feel stupid for not using a retract. :11:

BlueDolphin:
I'd like to know the exact size snap bolts used for the SPG, Scout, Can light, Long hose reg, etc.. Home Depot does have them.

Whatever works, works. Warm water divers can get away with pretty much anything. Up here, I use a largish bolt snap on my SPG and primary hose, very small ones on the backup lights, and a double ender on the lighthead. The "size" of a bolt snap isn't the size of the trigger or the eyelet, it's just the size of the ring at the base, which can give you a bit more to grab onto. With the SPG, proper positioning of the d ring is more important than the snap size.

I wish Home Depots up our way had stainless snaps. All they have in this area is brass and a very limited selection at that.

BlueDolphin:

.... the snap bolt on my SPG is beyond a PITA right now to clip and unclip. It is enough to make me feel stupid for not using a retract.
There are different qualities of nearly every product manufactured. Be sure you don't "bargain" yourself into problems. Not all Stainless Steel boltsnaps are created equal. Some, for example, don't have Stainless Steel parts inside them. Good ones do - but generally cost a bit more than those which do not. It's worth your time to check. (The ones that I've seen in HD and Lowes, for example, did NOT, and were of visibly inferior quality to boot. If you doubt this, take a Halcyon boltsnap to Lowes and compare it for yourself to the products you'll find there.)

With respect to manipulation, it takes practice. Very few things that are worthwhile don't require practice. Hang in there and you'll get it down after some practice (as Soggy advocated already). [And using a retract on your left waist D-ring would make you feel REAL stupid! :D ]

Doc Intrepid, you are absolutley right. The snap bolts I have been using from Home Depot are slowly getting more and more difficult to operate.

I am going to order a few from Halcyon or similar. I want to try a snap bolt that is 3/4" or so, to perhaps help in the no sight area of my SPG. Perhaps that will help a bit.
I was guilty just about my whole life of going the easy route whenever possible, and thus struggle with the SPG snapbolt/vs cheating with a retractor cord. It is really trying to get under my skin! lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom